1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amberlinks and Comets

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Mr D, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Mr D

Mr D Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    SETX
    My research into high egg production hens have led me to the Amberlinks and the Comet hybrids. I've been told, by Mt. Healthy Hatchery, that the Amberlinks are a cross between a Rhode Island Red Hen and a Rhode Island White Rooster, where as the Comets are the inverse, a Rhode Island White Hen and a Rhode Island Red Rooster. For some reason, the Comets come out redder, while the Amberlinks come out whiter. So, aside from color and the Sire/Dam combination, are there any differences between these two hybrid varieties?

2. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    I think your question is in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for purebred birds being bred to the SOP. Production hybrids are discussed in another section. You may find someone here that can help you, but many people do either production hybrids or purebreds, not both, so the people with the expertise you need may not read questions in this section. Hope you find what you need.

3. Mr D

Mr D Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    SETX
    Ok, thanks. I read "Genetics" in the forum title and thought this question would apply because I'm also asking, by inference, about the differences in genetic influence between the Sire and the Dam on the resulting chick.

4. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    Hmm, good point. Hadn't thought of it from that angle. Hopefully you'll find someone with answers. You can still post the same question on the production forum -- that'll get more people looking at your information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by