Amending Miracle Grow soil

bhaugh

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
This year I decided to be lazy and bought some miracle grow soil. The soil started out OK but has since turned clumpy and has this very odd texture. I reached out to the company for a refund because the soil is really awful but they’ve been giving me the runaround, so I’m going to look for, something that I can use as an amendment to break up the consistency of the soil. Does anyone have any ideas what I can use?

You could mix 70% peat with 30% of a course aggerate (pumice, small lava stone, perlite, builders' sand).
If you want to take it step further, you can mix 50% peat, 30% course aggerate and 20% of a good compost (Brut worm castings, Bu's Blend Biodynamic Compost).

My last bag of MG seed starter was awful. Full of chunks and twigs. Don't think it's a one off. The quality control department is asleep. Making my own moving forward.
Mix 2 parts coco coir or peat, 1 part perlite, 2 parts good compost (many municipalities are giving this out free this time of year) and the bag of soil. I don't think a "finished" soil blend is any less work and easily twice the price.

Further reading of the soil from the net states that the soil is primarily peat. I always add castings kelp and micros. The trees are amazingly doing ok maybe because the amendments I put in. If I put sand in will it lighten up the soil? I finally got MG to refund me but they stated as a disclaimer that they will only give back the “average” retail price less tax so who knows what I’ll get.

Back
Top Bottom