1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracauna/Easter Egger Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bullington, Jun 4, 2011.

1. janf1914

janf1914 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    With the rounded neck feathers I'd say pullet. But I'm real new to this.....[​IMG]

Married to a wonderful and handy husband with 3 beautiful daughters and 4 silly chickens - 1 BO, 1 RIR, 1 Ameracauna, and 1 ?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks like a pullet to me.

3. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Before I sentence one of my chickens to death because I think that it's a rooster I thought I'd ask people with more experience to help me tell a male from a female chicken.

My husband said he heard one of our flock of 5 crow this morning. I have 2 5month old RIR and 3 4 month old Easter Eggers. I planned to put them, one at a time, in a cage in our garage which is near my bedroom to see if it crows. One of the EE's has a little larger tail feathers and a little larger comb but no spurs on the legs. That will be the first to be tested. I live in a residential neighborhood and I don't want to aggravate the neighbors which may start an anti-chicken regulation.

Do females ever crow? I want to hear the noise that the bird made to see if it really sounds like a rooster crow or just some "Good Morning" vocalizations.

I looked at pictures on this site to try to see the difference between the males and females of 4 month old EE's and it's hard to tell to my untrained eyes. Since EE's are such a mixture of breeds, I didn't know if I could tell by looks alone.

Are there any web sites that I could compare pictures?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's a pullet! A cockerel would have a very large comb at 4 months.

Here's my Penelope for comparison, same age..
    [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    You may want to check out this thread on sexing EEs -- lots of pictures and info.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463817

And yes, sometimes a hen will crow, usually the dominant one. It sounds a bit pathetic, in my experience -- but then again, my Silkie cockerel sounds absolutely awful... [​IMG]

6. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    pullet. I have one very similar. Three rows to a comb is a rooster.

7. VNH

VNH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you all for responding.

I just realized that I mis-counted it's age. The RIRs are 4 months old and the EE's are 3 months old.

I read the 30+ pages of posts of people, like me, who aren't sure of the sex of their EE, and it seems like it is very hard to tell the males from the females. I've looked at the pictures, compared combs, body shapes and feathering and I'm still confused. My bird is white and black, which I read is often a male, but these were supposedly "professionally sexed" as females when I bought them as chicks. If I had known the black & white ones may be males, I would not have chosen a chick that color. Live and learn.

I'm glad to hear that some hens may crow. It's in a cage in the garage tonight so I can see if it makes any noise in the morning.

Winkin' (my other EEs are Blinkin' and Nod) hasn't seemed aggressive. The legs don't look thicker and I haven't seen any spurs. Some tail feathers do look like the sickle shape. Winkin" is mostly black and white with just a few pale buff feathers which may be another bad sign. I don't think that I have enough posts to include a picture.

The men in my family said they won't mind having to do the first step towards chicken & dumplings but I've gotten attached to the little critter and hope it's not a rooster.

8. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I would say pullet. I have 2 EEers that are 10 weeks- and I can for sure tell my roo from my girl. My girl does have some feathers high in the tail like yours- but there is no comb on yours (my pullet either) and at 3 months you would see one.

Pullet!

9. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    This is a picture of my Roo (aka: CRAZY ASS BIRD) at 8 weeks:

[​IMG]

10. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I think you have a hen, nothing of those feathers says roo niether does the tail she looks a bit like my Fileen just darker
    [​IMG]
    This is my hen
    [​IMG]
    Black Beard the rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by