Ameracauna rooster, easter egger hen, barred rock hen

2 have big white spots on head and at least 1 doesn't.. Don't know of that means anything the moment. And honestly, as I previously stated I'm not 100% positive they were even the barred rock hens because all but the EE lay brown eggs, almost impossible to tell the difference in the egg itself.

A white spot on the head usually indicates that the chick will be barred. If the rooster does not have barring, then barring must come from the mother (Barred Rock or Dominique.)

And because barring is on the Z sex chromosome, then all chicks with barring MUST be male.* So the chicks with headspots are most likely male.

The chicks with no headspots might be females from the Barred Rock or Dominique mothers, or they might be either gender if their mother is the Easter Egger or Rhode Island Red.

*Genetics note: a rooster has two Z sex chromosomes, and passes one to every chick he sires. A hen has ZW sex chromosomes. She passes the Z chromosome to her sons, W to her daughters. So a hen gets her Z chromosome from her father, and passes it to her sons, which is how a barred hen produces barred sons but not barred daughters in a cross like this.

A white spot on the head usually indicates that the chick will be barred. If the rooster does not have barring, then barring must come from the mother (Barred Rock or Dominique.)

And because barring is on the Z sex chromosome, then all chicks with barring MUST be male.* So the chicks with headspots are most likely male.

The chicks with no headspots might be females from the Barred Rock or Dominique mothers, or they might be either gender if their mother is the Easter Egger or Rhode Island Red.

*Genetics note: a rooster has two Z sex chromosomes, and passes one to every chick he sires. A hen has ZW sex chromosomes. She passes the Z chromosome to her sons, W to her daughters. So a hen gets her Z chromosome from her father, and passes it to her sons, which is how a barred hen produces barred sons but not barred daughters in a cross like this.
Thanks for the info. :)

I know this is so late but a Blue Ameraucana rooster and barred hen will make black chicks. As with other sexlink hybrids where barred hens are used white head spots are always male. Barring will also appear on males later.

I know this is so late but a Blue Ameraucana rooster and barred hen will make black chicks. As with other sexlink hybrids where barred hens are used white head spots are always male. Barring will also appear on males later.

Agreed, except you didn't mention that if the rooster is blue, half the chicks will have blue instead of black :)

Agreed, except you didn't mention that if the rooster is blue, half the chicks will have blue instead of black :)
shouldnt all of the ones from the barred hen be black since Blue comes from Lavender(recessive) and Black (dominant)? This would mean they inherit 2 copies of black. We had someone hatch out eggs from our Blue guy with eggs from 2 Barred, several red sexlinks and a new hampshire and got quite an unexpected mix of colors. I wish I could have been there to see which eggs they came out of.

Back
Top Bottom