1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameracaunas first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gjoyner, Oct 29, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

we are mid wicked snow storm in denver here and my ameracauna laid her first egg! Shes 25 weeks tomorrow! YAYYY!
    not that I'm ungratefull...but...
    its a super light brown...i thought they were spose to be green or blue..or red..
    will they turn that color after shes been laying for awhile?
    I got her so she would lay weird colored eggs....
    just wondering

2. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Quote:I have to agree. And sorry to say that is the color egg she will always lay.

Do you have a pic of her??? Would love to see her. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG]:weee Well...congrats on her first egg! And I've heard some people call a really light brown/tannish color "pink." But EEs are mixed (supposedly to get the colored eggs), so I guess off colors can result. Like you, I got my EE for the green/blue eggs. She's not old enough to lay yet, but I'm crossing my fingers when it happens that I will get easter eggish colored eggs. She's a sweet girl just the same, so I guess I'll just have to be grateful for whatever eggs she gives me... [​IMG]

5. golden comets

golden comets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I was told mine were auracannas when I ordered them and when they were old enough I sent pictures to my poultry buddies on another forum and they told me they were EE`S some of them lay blue eggs and I have one that hers are white.I wanted the colored eggs thats why I ordered them.

6. gjoyner

7. gjoyner

Here is an actual pic of her..shes a bit younger in this one
    [​IMG]

8. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    She is a pretty girl. Are you sure she laid the egg in question?

9. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    That's pretty close to what my girl looks like too. Easter Eggers can lay all different colors because they're technically 'mutts'. You don't know which genes are going to be present in the egg color scheme of things. They have the potential to lay colored eggs, but that won't necessarily be expressed. At least she's a good chicken and has laid for you!

10. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Congrats on your egg! My EE left me her first one yesterday and another today!! Light green on those...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by