Ameracuna Vs EE

I've seen that so much. I get that they're not as common as we would like, and that they're commonly mislabeled, But don't have to automatically shut everyone down.

Meyers sells a blue Americauna.

Gary
Do you mean Ameracuna? Americauna is just another name for EE so if they are labeled Americauna then they are in fact EE's and not Ameracuna.

Also not necessarily on them looking the same. Even Ameracuna chicks should already show the full beard and muffs. No bead or no muffs and no slate or black legs then it's not an Ameracuna. Hatcheries as stated really need to label their stock better to avoid confusing customers.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html?m=1

This is a very helpful link.

If you intend to just keep them for yourself for eggs then it doesn't matter, however if you intend to breed and sell babies in the future be careful. Someone either knowingly or unknowingly was selling chicks from her hatchery purchased 'Ameracuna' chickens. My friend who breeds true Ameracuna got hatching eggs and paid a handsome some for them. When they all hatched they were actually EE. The woman has also sold several chicks for $20 and mind you as Ameracuna when they are only EE's. She is in serious trouble now with several people who have purchased from her asking for their money back and to take back the birds as she lied about what she was selling. Weather she knew what they were or not it was still sleazy and she still took a lot of people for their money. Many warnings have been posted about her on the Facebook chicken groups now and she has been banned from most Facebook groups that allow chicken sales and swaps for being dishonest with buyers. Not sure which hatchery she got her chickens from thinking they were Ameracuna. Just a small warning because there are people out there buying up Ameracuna from breeders and they do cost more than an EE so if you breed to sell offspring be 100%certain what you have is an Ameracuna and not an EE or you could get in trouble.

Last edited:
Do you mean Ameracuna? Americauna is just another name for EE so if they are labeled Americauna then they are in fact EE's and not Ameracuna.

Also not necessarily on them looking the same. Even Ameracuna chicks should already show the full beard and muffs. No bead or no muffs and no slate or black legs then it's not an Ameracuna. Hatcheries as stated really need to label their stock better to avoid confusing customers.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html?m=1

This is a very helpful link.

I thought EE was a name for a chick that's bred with an Ameracuna and another breed of chicken? So EE is the result? So the title isn't One or the other... The chicks are either EE or Ameracuna/

I thought EE was a name for a chick that's bred with an Ameracuna and another breed of chicken? So EE is the result? So the title isn't One or the other... The chicks are either EE or Ameracuna/
It's the difference and here is the tricky part so look closely because this might save you some heartache down the line if you want a true Ameracuna. Ameracuna is an APA recognized breed that lays blue eggs and follows APA standards.

Americauna is an EE, there is no i in Ameracuna, the Americauna is a made up breed used to trick people into overpaying for EE's thinking they are Ameracuna. See how that works? Pretty sketchy if you ask me so when you are looking for Ameracuna chicks watch that spelling.

It's the difference and here is the tricky part so look closely because this might save you some heartache down the line if you want a true Ameracuna. Ameracuna is an APA recognized breed that lays blue eggs and follows APA standards.

Americauna is an EE, there is no i in Ameracuna, the Americauna is a made up breed used to trick people into overpaying for EE's thinking they are Ameracuna. See how that works? Pretty sketchy if you ask me so when you are looking for Ameracuna chicks watch that spelling.

I've seen the non-breeders type it our both ways, So I wouldn't full heartedly trust the spelling to tell which is which. But that's insightful!

What I find interesting is sometimes the local stores selling the chicks don't even know there is a difference. I recently saw at a local farm store they had Americauna's. I asked the employees at the store if they were pure americauna's or Easter eggers. The woman looked at me sideways and said "there's a difference"? I could tell by the cost of the chick it was an EE but it's sad they don't know their own products.

I've seen the non-breeders type it our both ways, So I wouldn't full heartedly trust the spelling to tell which is which. But that's insightful!
When it comes to someone selling chicks to you for $20 a piece....take it to heart, it's the difference between getting ripped off and walking from a bad deal. Most hatcheries sell Americauna, these are EE's. Some people buy them thinking they are in fact Ameracuna. Again it would help so much more if everyone was just more honest. Again if you just want something to lay pretty eggs it doesn't matter though I still wouldn't spend $20 for an EE.

If you intend to get into breeding and selling chicks it will matter a LOT and is the difference between making you a good honest breeder or killing your reputation as a breeder.

When it comes to someone selling chicks to you for $20 a piece....take it to heart, it's the difference between getting ripped off and walking from a bad deal. Most hatcheries sell Americauna, these are EE's. Some people buy them thinking they are in fact Ameracuna. Again it would help so much more if everyone was just more honest. Again if you just want something to lay pretty eggs it doesn't matter though I still wouldn't spend $20 for an EE.

If you intend to get into breeding and selling chicks it will matter a LOT and is the difference between making you a good honest breeder or killing your reputation as a breeder.

I understand what you're saying, BUT I've seen them selling them for quite a bit, the name being spelled both ways, and they still aren't Pure. That's all I'm saying. The name isn't something to completely go off of. To me, It doesn't really matter. But to others who may be breeding, I get how it could be aggravating.

What I find interesting is sometimes the local stores selling the chicks don't even know there is a difference. I recently saw at a local farm store they had Americauna's. I asked the employees at the store if they were pure americauna's or Easter eggers. The woman looked at me sideways and said "there's a difference"? I could tell by the cost of the chick it was an EE but it's sad they don't know their own products.

We just had this same thing happen! They were selling them for 10x the price of EE's. Because they were "Ameracuna's" And when I asked if they were APA, she looked at me and said you can't do that to non-pure chickens... Lol

Back
Top Bottom