Ameraucana Breed/Color?

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
I was given some eggs by someone who said they were purely ameraucana. Not knowing much about that breed I'm gonna trust that that's what I was given.
I was wanting to find out if the chick was a true ameraucana and if so what color would she be when she was fully grown?
Also, she is only 3-4 days and I was wondering if there was a way to check her gender without venting. Is the wing test reliable, and if so is it reliable at such a young age. Thank you!

Wing feather sexing is not accurate for them, no -- when used it must be done in the first three days, but is only accurate when slow feathering and fast feathering parent birds have been used in creating the resulting chick, and that would not be the case for this chick.
Vent sexing is not a straightforward or easy process and the risk of injury due to inexperience is high. Even the most experienced sexers only have 85-90% accuracy so it's not really worth it, imo, give that you will know in a matter of 4-6 weeks (or sooner in the case of loud and proud cockerels that make it obvious earlier).

She's at about a week now so I wanted to provide some updated pictures to see if anyone could identify her color or gender any better than before. Her tail feather growth makes me think it's a hen, because I've never had a chicken develop feathers this fast and end up being a roo.
IMG_1865.jpg IMG_1866.jpg IMG_1867.jpg IMG_1868.jpg

Back
Top Bottom