Ameraucana Chick questions *PICS*

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
I have three 7 week old Ameraucana chicks and three 1 day olds. A few more eggs still in the hatcher.
I'm new to Ameraucanas and the colors and standards are something I am trying to learn about.
Of the 7 week olds, I have 1 black that I think is a pullet Am
and I believe one is a cockerel but do not know what you would call his color
and I have one that is odd coloring, would you just call her an EE? Her legs are starting to pigment now and her feathers are getting more grey in them as she grows.
Here they are:
3ams-gf.jpg

And the one I think is a roo, is he black or splash since he has a little grey in the face??
am-gf-roo.jpg

Next, I have 3 new babies. I think I hav 2 black and 1 grey, is that right?
3amigos-ams.jpg

3amigos2-ams.jpg

This is the second time I have seen a bird colored like that. Who the heck is breeding these?

I wouldn't use any of the first three for breeding as they obviously are carrying some type of weird gene. The one may look black, but who knows what is lying in those chromosomes waiting to pop out. The other two are definately crossed with something.

The tiny babies look like maybe two blacks and a splash or a black, blue and splash.

You need to let the breeder of the first batch of birds know that they are doing something really wrong there.

And yes, looks like two cockerels and a pullet. Legs are supposed to be slate or black on black birds. The legs are a dead giveaway that they are crossed with something.

pips&peeps :

This is the second time I have seen a bird colored like that. Who the heck is breeding these?

I wouldn't use any of the first three for breeding as they obviously are carrying some type of weird gene. The one may look black, but who knows what is lying in those chromosomes waiting to pop out. The other two are definately crossed with something.

The tiny babies look like maybe two blacks and a splash or a black, blue and splash.

You need to let the breeder of the first batch of birds know that they are doing something really wrong there.

And yes, looks like two cockerels and a pullet. Legs are supposed to be slate or black on black birds. The legs are a dead giveaway that they are crossed with something.

Thanks Jean, I think this is the same black and white EE chick you saw before because I asked about her previously. She was supposed to be Ameraucana but obviously does not fit the standard.

I'm still confused on colors. You are saying the lightest baby is a splash? Can anyone define splash for me?
thanks so much for taking a look​

Last edited:
When you breed blue to blue you get 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash. It is what I call a recessive blue, this probably not the correct terminology.

The bird will be mostly white with dark blue and grey feather flecks throughout it's body.

It will breed true if you breed it to another splash. If you breed it to a black, all the offspring should be blue.

Some splashes are quite beautiful birds and some have a dull appearance if they end up with a blue cast to the "white" feathers.

I believe it's what's known as "incomplete dominance" rather than dominant or recessive - one copy of the gene modifies the underlying base colour and two copies modifies it even more. It's like the creme gene in horses - blue/black/splash can be likened to palomino/chestnut/cremello.

pips&peeps :

When you breed blue to blue you get 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash. It is what I call a recessive blue, this probably not the correct terminology.

The bird will be mostly white with dark blue and grey feather flecks throughout it's body.

It will breed true if you breed it to another splash. If you breed it to a black, all the offspring should be blue.

Some splashes are quite beautiful birds and some have a dull appearance if they end up with a blue cast to the "white" feathers.

Thanks very much. Fog is clearing slightly.
The 1 day old babies are from a different breeder. You think they are 2 blacks and a splash. So the lightest one will be whitest/grey with grey and dark grey accents/feathers, correct? And that is called splash.
I've looked on the google images and at others pics and was just not clear on what I was looking for.

I have 4 more eggs in the incubator. Still hoping for a blue chick.​

Quote:
Thank you Momo. It's good to get some understanding of how the genetics work.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Inquisitive minds want to know the answer to this question
smile.png
Looks like she's trying to be a mottled chickie
big_smile.png
That's a color I would love to see on ameraucanas, but then I guess they couldn't be called Ameraucanas anymore
idunno.gif
roll.png

That bird does look mottled. I think it's very cute. What color were the chicks supposed to be? I'm assuming you ordered them as hatching eggs - what was ordered?

Back
Top Bottom