Ameraucana chicks have problems....Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fowlwoman1, Jun 9, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I've been incubating and hatching my Ameraucana eggs for the last few months, and it seems like about 1/3 of the chicks that hatch from green eggs have problems. leg, toe, eating issues and just death in the shell before hatching and immediately after hatching, etc. I was noticing on the special needs chicks thread, there were a few ameraucanas, so I was thinking that maybe that's just how the breed is. I had been considering buying different breeding stock to see if it is my hens' genes causing the problem. the papa roos of these babies aren't ameraucana. the mamas were probably from ideal hatchery.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they were from Ideal, you have Easter Eggers, a crossbred bird. Since they are not purebreds, anything could happen. It's hard to pin it down because of that, to give a rule of thumb. True Ameraucanas are extremely fertile and hatch easily, in my personal experience. In fact, they ship much better than my Blue Orp eggs, too.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Sounds more like an incubation problem to me than a genetic issue.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    pips&peeps :

Sounds more like an incubation problem to me than a genetic issue.

I agree-have you only been incubating the EEs, or have you ha other breeds in with them as well?​

5. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I have been hatching other mixes as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by