Ameraucana/EE at 7 weeks HE or She?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zenbirder, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Since I have never even seen an Ameraucana/EE rooster in person.... the chicks were from Privett. I have 10 of these chicks, 25 total and this white feathered one is starting to have me worried at 7 weeks old, and has the most unusual feather coloration of the bunch. Please share opinions on gender, and what would you call this coloration?

[​IMG]

Another view:

[​IMG]

A sister for comparison:

[​IMG]

One more sister:

[​IMG]

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I don't know for sure, but I dont' think that color has anything to do with it, Its all in the mix from what I understand, I hope someone with more knowlegde on the breed comes along to answer , as I would like to understand how to sex them too. Sandy

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not the color that worries me, it's that bright red comb. Are his legs longer and thicker than the pullets as well?
    EE's are really hard to sex. I have 4 5-weekers and I have NO idea on any of them.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Easter eggers can sometimes be difficult to sex, but this one sure looks like a cockerel to me. I'm basing it on both his coloring and his comb.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    100% positive that is a cockerel.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    At 7 weeks old, with a comb that red I'm pretty sure that it's a cockeral also.

Our two EE boys' (McMurray Araucanas) combs started getting red at around 3 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Same cockeral at 6 weeks old:

[​IMG]

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

7. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I was afraid it might be a cockrel, based on temperment also. It is the only chick that has never eaten treats from my hand. It is the hardest to catch, and has never backed down from a one-on-one from another chick. The legs are thick-ish compared to the others. If so, he will have quite a harem! I made it with my first batch of chicks (now starting their 3rd year of life) with all 17 hens. This time I have the 25 chicks and this chick is my main concern. Two others are possible, but not as worrysome yet. Any more comments welcome!

8. KSPixieChick

KSPixieChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2008
    Rooster. I have one with similar coloring. He also crowed young. Now he has beautiful blue green tail feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by