Ameraucana/EE - Hens or Roos??? ADDED COMB PICS

Like I said in an earlier post, they all three have a whole lot of comb development for chicks that are still feathering in. It's not the number of rows I'm looking at. It's the overall size. Too much, too soon for pullets.

Annnnd hearts broken again. Haha

I'll just have to wait and see till they lay or crow!
Thanks for all the advice!

That 1 row versus 3 rows thing isn't really true. There are plenty of girls with three row combs. And there are occasionally cockerels with only one row. My last hatch of Easter Eggers, all 5 of the girls had 3 three row combs, as did the boys.

Junebuggena, I'm very interested in what you said here! You sound experienced with EEs. Is the comb turning red at a certain point in time more telling than just the appearance of 3 rows of bumps? I'm getting conflicting opinions on one of my chicks, now over 5 weeks of age. If I post a photo on the internet, I'm swarmed with everyone telling me "cockerel! 3 distinct rows of combs!" yet when I go back to the breeder (whose opinion I also value) she tells me that it's looking like a pullet because the comb would be some sort of shade of red by now and there are no wattles. She raises several dozen EE every year until 8 weeks of age to sell as starter pullets so she's seen a lot over the years, as I'm sure have a lot of the people who answer gender question posts. So, long story short; what, if any, is a better method of sexing EE if the 3 row pea comb thing doesn't always stay true?

Here's a photo of what I put online and showed the breeder. Chick in question is #2.

Junebuggena, I'm very interested in what you said here! You sound experienced with EEs. Is the comb turning red at a certain point in time more telling than just the appearance of 3 rows of bumps? I'm getting conflicting opinions on one of my chicks, now over 5 weeks of age. If I post a photo on the internet, I'm swarmed with everyone telling me "cockerel! 3 distinct rows of combs!" yet when I go back to the breeder (whose opinion I also value) she tells me that it's looking like a pullet because the comb would be some sort of shade of red by now and there are no wattles. She raises several dozen EE every year until 8 weeks of age to sell as starter pullets so she's seen a lot over the years, as I'm sure have a lot of the people who answer gender question posts. So, long story short; what, if any, is a better method of sexing EE if the 3 row pea comb thing doesn't always stay true?

Here's a photo of what I put online and showed the breeder. Chick in question is #2.

For Easter Eggers, there are few things to watch for. In regards to the comb, more important than the number of rows is the amount of development. Cockerels will have more prominent combs early on, and they will start to pink up some time after 4 weeks old. Chick #2 is still a bit young for a pink comb, but there is too much comb development for a pullet.
The other thing that needs to be considered is coloring. Cockerels will always have patchier coloring, when compared to pullets.

I have 2 six week old americauna (although I'm reading that they might be EE's) chicks in question. I'm really hoping for hens because I can't keep roosters where I live.

Hi,
I know this thread is a few weeks old but if you can help a newbie out that would be great.
I have a 5 week ee chick. Can provide pics of parents if need be but I need to know tender of this chick as I can't have another roo and we are getting attached lol. There is noticeable pink but comb size is small. Truely greatfull for some input.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom