Ameraucana Hen not going inside at night.

kmstephens3307

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
I am new to BYC an have been searching for anyone else that has had this similar problem. I have 3 Ameraucana's out of my 20 birds. 1 of them insist on staying outside. Friday night, I closed up the coop and did the normal walk around the area looking for anything they had dug up (just purchase the home last year and have found some pretty strange items in the yard so far). Saturday morning, I look out my window and 1 of them was outside pacing back and forth. Instantly I put my coat and shoes on and went outside thinking something got into the coop. I got out there and everything was closed up. She must have hid under the ramp. So Saturday night, I look under there and sure enough she's there, and again last night. Why won't she go in? I have had chicken's for years and even growing up and never had this problem. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!!
Kandis

Maybe she's low hen in the pecking order?

How much roost length and floor space do you have?
Is it hot in the coop...lots of ventilation?

Putting your location in your profile can help folks make suggestions.

Maybe she's low hen in the pecking order?

How much roost length and floor space do you have?
Is it hot in the coop...lots of ventilation?

Putting your location in your profile can help folks make suggestions.
I agree that she may be low in the pecking order, the temps are uncomfortable or there is poor ventilation. Make sure the roosts are also sanded as I've heard of chickens who refuse to roost due to them being rough and jagged.

Good luck and welcome!:)

I live in northern Michigan. We used a pretty new barn that is insulated pretty well. She just started doing this, so I am thinking that maybe she is just the "lone" ranger. The roosting poles are pretty smooth and actually none of our little chicks use them at night yet. They all still huddle up at night (which makes for some pretty cute pictures) I have three that will get up there but I think just to see out the windows. Thank you for all!!

One of my girls is a little on the loopy side; and for a while just got confused about where she was supposed to be.
She was probably already asleep when everyone went to bed and was pacing looking for her friends.
I always do a head count before I lock up at night.

Back
Top Bottom