Ameraucana or Easter Egger; Hen or Roo?!

salshappyhen

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
hi!!

you guys are all so knowledgable, i don't know what i'd do without you!

one of chickens is a bit of a mystery. she/he will be a year old in september and as far as i know, she/he is an ameraucana. all this time we've assumed peggy is a hen, however we are not too sure now! here's why:
1. she/he hasn't started to lay yet ( i know this breed starts late )
2. she/he rarely hangs out with the rest of the flock; very independent and would rather hang with us in our house! i love this about her/him! and no, we do not let her/him stay in the house!
3. this is the one that has really made me wonder: recently she/he has been trying to bite the neck and mount one of our other hens! only one particular hen though. is it just hen aggression or was she/he trying to fertilize her! (it's the exact same behavior as our roo when he's doing his thing!)

she/he looks almost identical as my other ameracauna except my other hen is a bit older and has less of a beard and also less of a cone. she's also more slender than our mystery chicken….oh and she/he does not crow.

i've attached a few pics of out mystery peggy. any input?
THANK YOU, AWESOME PEOPLE!

Attachments

• unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 37
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 8
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 8
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 9
I answered your other posting that she's a she but I don't think I added that she's an Easter Egger. That's not an accepted plumage color in the Ameraucana standard.

I answered your other posting that she's a she but I don't think I added that she's an Easter Egger. That's not an accepted plumage color in the Ameraucana standard.
Thank you! I wasn't sure if my first post went through and then I finally figured out how to post a new thread.
Is it common for a hen to pick on one hen inparticular? Both of these hens are super sweet and gentle.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom