Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Valk

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Durango, Colorado
Hello, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if I have six Ameraucanas or six Easter Eggers. They're approximately 19 weeks old.

The first picture has a Barred Rock and a Wyandotte on the left, the other five are my 'Ameraucanas' with one missing.

Thank you for any information!!!

The dark colored ones look like Americana's the light ones look like the easter eggers do they all have green legs ?

Those are Easter Eggers, almost all hatcheries sell the non-standard EEs as "Ameraucanas" or "Americanas" ( or just about any variation of the name).

A true Ameraucana will only lay blue eggs and only come in these color patterns
Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White

Your EEs could lay you a variety of egg colors between blue, green, pink, or brown. They maybe mutts, but they will still lay you delicious eggs and are beautiful additions to any flock.

Last edited:
Bodee, yes, they all have greenish legs.

RoostersCrow,HensDeliver, thanks for that information. I had looked on the Ameraucana.org site a few times and had my suspicions. And right, mutts or Ameraucanas, I still love them the same and can't wait for their beautiful eggs!

Thanks so much for the replies!!! Very much appreciated.

Why do you call them "the Carthaginians" ?

Hah, well, four of them are named after Carthaginian generals:

Hamilcar
Mago
Hannibal
Hasdrubal

One is named after a same-era Numidian king, Jugurtha.
And the last one is named after Scipio Africanus who destroyed Carthage by putting into effect the 'Carthaginian Solution'.

The names are odd, I realize, but I have a thing for Mediterranean antiquity. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom