Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Valk

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Durango, Colorado
Hello, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if I have six Ameraucanas or six Easter Eggers. They're approximately 19 weeks old.

The first picture has a Barred Rock and a Wyandotte on the left, the other five are my 'Ameraucanas' with one missing.

Thank you for any information!!!

Bodee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
The dark colored ones look like Americana's the light ones look like the easter eggers do they all have green legs ?

RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2011
SE Michigan
Those are Easter Eggers, almost all hatcheries sell the non-standard EEs as "Ameraucanas" or "Americanas" ( or just about any variation of the name).

A true Ameraucana will only lay blue eggs and only come in these color patterns
Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White

Your EEs could lay you a variety of egg colors between blue, green, pink, or brown. They maybe mutts, but they will still lay you delicious eggs and are beautiful additions to any flock.

Last edited:

Valk

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Durango, Colorado
Bodee, yes, they all have greenish legs.

RoostersCrow,HensDeliver, thanks for that information. I had looked on the Ameraucana.org site a few times and had my suspicions. And right, mutts or Ameraucanas, I still love them the same and can't wait for their beautiful eggs!

Thanks so much for the replies!!! Very much appreciated.

Valk

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Durango, Colorado
Why do you call them "the Carthaginians" ?

Hah, well, four of them are named after Carthaginian generals:

Hamilcar
Mago
Hannibal
Hasdrubal

One is named after a same-era Numidian king, Jugurtha.
And the last one is named after Scipio Africanus who destroyed Carthage by putting into effect the 'Carthaginian Solution'.

The names are odd, I realize, but I have a thing for Mediterranean antiquity. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:

Top Bottom