Ameraucana or EE? and yes, i know everyone asks that. but...

haTHOR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Near Asheville, NC
this bird came from a pen where there was an Ameraucana wheaten roo and an EE pure white roo, running with partridge-type EE and black Ameraucana hens.

so in this case it really would be possible to get an Ameraucana from the mix.

or does the Ameraucana breed label get lost if two different recognized colors are crossed? i am not sure about that with Ameraucanas
since the breed is so strict about the colors. it would have to be a blackXwheaten.

love him either way, but i'd like to know as i go forward toward olive eggs. he hatched from a blue egg, not mint green or green blue.

legs are slate--very sunny day and the legs look light gray in these pics, but they aren't.
DSCI0019.JPG

DSCI0011.JPG

DSCI0036.JPG

DSCI0086.JPG

Last edited:
This is an interesting question, that I'm not going to say for sure one way or the other. I would guess based on the fact that he is colored as a Wheaten Ameraucana, he likely has the wheaten daddy and a black mom. He certainly COULD be shown as a wheaten Ameraucana, but what he would throw for offspring...I don't know for sure...either way, he's a beautiful boy, and will make you some gorgeous OEs!
smile.png

btw, for curiosity sake, what do you mean by "AA"??

sorry, AmerAucana.
smile.png
it's in my mind as the accepted abbreviation for the breed...i guess i made it up!

wonder if i should change it...just so it's clear to those who are reading who *can't* read my mind.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have asked the question of if you crossed pure Ameraucanas for a "non-standard" color cross would the offspring be considered EE's or Ameraucanas and haven't gotten a clear answer on it either. Maybe pips and peeps would chime in with a more informed answer. I was curious because I have a wheaten roo as well but my hens are blue, black and splash so I was wondering if their offspring would be EE's. Hopefully you will get an anwer to this question.

As a general rule, if you mix two recognized colors of Ameraucanas, the offspring would be considered EEs, because they won't be recognized colors. The only reason I don't have a solid answer in this case is because to get the Wheaten color, it was likely the black female and wheaten male as parents, and this rooster COULD throw all wheaten, since wheaten is a black based color. It would not have been my answer if the mom was blue or splash, and if they were, he wouldn't look the way he does...

He's an EE I have one much like him he's not wheaten though-my aviator that looks a lot like yours as well.Any time you cross colors with Ameraucana's they are EE because you don't know what they will produce(BBS can be kept together of coarse) We have many EE that could be shown as Ameraucana's and no one would know otherwise but they may or may not produce the desired colors.
Wheaten Roo and black hen is all black chicks sorry so he didn't come from a black Ameraucana hen.He came from a partridge colored EE I get this color result time after time with my roo and those hens.

Last edited:
ok, since you guys know about this...what the heck is going on with this hatch mate (same possible mix of parents) of that roo? why doesn't he have a tail? is that a deformity or was someone carrying the gene for rumpless somewhere in the mix?

i assume this guy for sure is EE.
DSCI0051.JPG

DSCI0052.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom