Ameraucana or EE? Hen or rooster?

If it came from a hatchery or feed store then its a 90% chance its an Easter Egger right off. Also you have to examine the traits. Ameraucanas must have pea combs, slate legs, beard and muffs, and fit specific patterns. If the bird is off from just one of these traits its not an Ameraucana and falls into the Easter Egger class.
Oh ok!

If it came from a hatchery or feed store then its a 90% chance its an Easter Egger right off. Also you have to examine the traits. Ameraucanas must have pea combs, slate legs, beard and muffs, and fit specific patterns. If the bird is off from just one of these traits its not an Ameraucana and falls into the Easter Egger class.
My Americana (that's how the hatchery spelled it) has all of those traits as far as I can tell. Is she actually an Ameraucana? I would post a picture, but Liberty is very wiggly and it's hard to get a good pic.

He/she is 4 months old. I bought her as a 2 day old chick from a farm supply store, along with 7 Easter Egger chicks of the same age. She was the only yellow one in the store. The salesman called her a “Buff Orpington”, but I know that’s NOT what she is. But.... what IS she? Her beak is so yellow compared to all her EE flock mates, who have dark beaks. During their first week of life, her flock mates ganged up on her & started pecking & wounding her. I assumed it was because she was different (in appearance) from them. After separating her for a couple of days & getting her healed up, though, I realized - after reuniting her w/them - that she was actually quite a constant nuisance to the others. She didn’t peck/wound them, but she just wouldn’t (still won’t) let anybody else relax. She’s constantly jumping at them & flapping at them out of the blue, & chasing them. About a week ago, I decided to just kick her out of the run. She’s my only free-ranger now. She hasn’t ventured more than a couple of feet away from the run, but all the others seem way more content now. We think we heard her try to crow a couple of times yesterday, but her feathers aren’t typical rooster feathers, are they? Is it just too soon to tell? I read that there IS such a thing as an “ALPHA HEN” who will take it upon themselves to protect the flock & might even start crowing. So I can’t tell what the heck is going on here! Can somebody help? Or is 4 months old just too soon to tell? Is this an Easter Egger or an Ameraucana? Boy or girl? View attachment 2236258View attachment 2236259View attachment 2236260View attachment 2236261View attachment 2236262View attachment 2236263View attachment 2236261View attachment 2236258View attachment 2236259View attachment 2236260View attachment 2236261View attachment 2236262View attachment 2236263
Well, I’m not sure what type of chicken it is BUT I’d bet my house that it’s a cockerel! I have just recently had the same experience.. bought 3 “hens” and now have 2 hens and 1 cockerel. He sure is cute though! Those cheeks! Good luck! Keep us posted!

Post a pic if you can. What pattern/variety is she?
I don't know what pattern she is.

Here's one of her head. She likes to hide under/behind the other birds.
Liberty 4.JPG

And here's one of her body. She kept flying off while I was getting the pic. Her legs are muddy in this one, but I just checked and they are gray, not green.
Liberty 3.JPG

I don't know what pattern she is.

Here's one of her head. She likes to hide under/behind the other birds.
View attachment 2236561

And here's one of her body. She kept flying off while I was getting the pic. Her legs are muddy in this one, but I just checked and they are gray, not green.
View attachment 2236564
She's an Easter Egger. If you don't buy a specific variety of Ameraucana, it's 99% likely to be an Easter Egger

Back
Top Bottom