Ameraucana or EE? That is a true question....

ShelbyCoral

Songster
6 Years
So I have a buff and blue chicken that we got from TSC saying they are Ameraucana. BUT, we all know that is not the case. I bought 6 cuties from there and 2 died (FOX). So we ended up with 3 boys and 1 girl. She lays really pretty SKY BLUE EGGS!! Never seen so much blue in an egg. She is super pretty and EVERYONE wants to buy her and I want to know why?
Colors: Mostly Buff with blue hackle and blue tail. Legs Black ish? Green? Blue? Im not sure.
Here is pictures.

Now for the boys.

1 of the boys is an Easter Egger... He has no muffs and has a single sorta comb...

Another boy, But don't know his breed... He is brown and black with red shoulders, muffs, beard and black legs. He is also very large... like BCM.

The last boy is small like a Polish rooster. Blue Splash with wheaten mixed in him. Perfect comb and blue legs.

All are Easter Eggers. They're quite pretty, even if they're not Ameraucanas! I especially like the hen.

They're all Easter eggers. I honestly don't foresee TSC ever selling purebred Ameraucanas.

Agreed - IF they ever did you will be paying the price for an Ameraucana. What I mean is, if you look at Meyer hatchery, for example, who does sell true Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers you will see the decided difference in price between the two -- as the hatchery charges this difference, so to will the retailer. If you are in a store selling "Ameraucanas" and they are priced the same as all the other chicks, they are Easter Eggers.
Whether it's a matter of willful ignorance or true ignorance on the part of the retailer is a good question, but, ultimately, they are only selling the product that the distributor has told them they are getting.

EE *can* lay beautiful blue eggs that look like an Ameraucana egg - but the color of the egg is not the only factor that makes the breed.

Okay now I do have 5 girls from meyers... They have the same color legs as the buff hen. But they are silver. Now I also have 2 roosters or i think the one is a rooster... still not sure. Its 5 months old.
but one is white and the other is buff?

here are pictures
This is the boy, he crows and everything. Everything his brother doesnt.. He has Black Legs like a sumatra. They are just very filthy here with mud...
Just want to know breed.

Im not sure this is a rooster... He lost all of his pointy feathers and is growing round feathers. Yes he has a beard its just been plucked... poor guy, or girl?
This is a easter egger? He has green legs. Like really bright green!
So just want to know about this boys gender...

Okay now I do have 5 girls from meyers... They have the same color legs as the buff hen. But they are silver. Now I also have 2 roosters or i think the one is a rooster... still not sure. Its 5 months old.
but one is white and the other is buff?

here are pictures
This is the boy, he crows and everything. Everything his brother doesnt.. He has Black Legs like a sumatra. They are just very filthy here with mud...
Just want to know breed.

Im not sure this is a rooster... He lost all of his pointy feathers and is growing round feathers. Yes he has a beard its just been plucked... poor guy, or girl?
This is a easter egger? He has green legs. Like really bright green!
So just want to know about this boys gender...

The only true Ameraucana color that I know of Meyer dealing in is blue - and they range between $14-20 per chick depending on whether you order cockerel, straight run or sexed pullets - your birds are all EE. As to the gender of the lower bird - can you get a side shot to show the saddle feathers and a clear shot of the comb (or tell me if there are 3 rows or just one)?

ETA - in the interest of accuracy, blue does not breed true so "blues" from the hatchery can be blue, black or splash - but your birds are none of those.

Last edited:
The only true Ameraucana color that I know of Meyer dealing in is blue - and they range between $14-20 per chick depending on whether you order cockerel, straight run or sexed pullets - your birds are all EE. As to the gender of the lower bird - can you get a side shot to show the saddle feathers and a clear shot of the comb (or tell me if there are 3 rows or just one)?

ETA - in the interest of accuracy, blue does not breed true so "blues" from the hatchery can be blue, black or splash - but your birds are none of those.

X2 on that.

Back
Top Bottom