Ameraucana (probably easter egger?) sexing?

menchelke

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
Golden Valley Arizona 86413
tldr:
Thought was female, maybe male?

So this is GOAT. Sister had a dog with the name was "A dog named Pig" just went by pig. This is "A chicken named Goat". This is an age old tale, told throughout millennia of chicken ownership.

I thought Goat was a pullet. And I just figured Goat was the top in the pecking order because she was the only egg from my Ameraucana (bought as that, pretty sure they are easter egger, the egg was blue, and all the eggs from the mother hen are blue. Including pics of mom and dad.

So Goat is super friendly, talkative, hops on my lap, and in the morning when I load them out of the brooder, Goat always jumps on the edge, waits for me to load all the silkies, then jumps onto the edge of the box, or my shoulder, and rides outside to there day time temporary chicken run area that we have fully enclosed. Then in the evening, Goat jumps into the box and or runs around and helps herd the silkies, and once I got them all gathered Goat then jumps into the box to go back inside.

Comes over to visit, without treats needed, seems super happy if I pet or snuggle with Goat. And if I stroke down back, makes trilling noises.

Now, the other day, when taking them out Goat let out a kind of choked crowing noise. Goat also sometimes chest bumps a silkie, or just jumps on it, because of the size difference. The silkies, I think I hatched 5 cockerels, they are all having fun mostly running around and will chest bump like three or four times before they separate, and sometimes back to back, like 1, will bump 2 three times, and then bump 3 a few times and then 4. I don't usually see Goat getting into a chest bumping match. But, Goat is twice size of the flock that hatched alongside, hatched alongside 8 silkies. April 24-May 1st. Had some of my own eggs and some pulled from a friends broody hen that stopped brooding.

Anyway, friendliest cockeral is what I am leaning but my heart wants it to be a pullet.

Last edited:
Admittedly I don't have time to read the whole OP, so I'm not certain about the rooster there - but the smaller bird posted is a cockerel if that is what you are wondering. 👍

Back
Top Bottom