Ameraucana ? Pullet or cockerel

@TheOddOneOut is correct - not pure Ameraucanas. I actually raise wheaten ameraucanas 😉

Nonetheless, I also have some EEs which are good for their own reasons.
Yes I have Easter Eggers, they are some of my favorites, but that's not what I purchased. I get it. But still I bought 13 chicks, to eventually breed myself. The gentleman I bought them from seems like good people, I believe he is making a living out of this, he sells and ships eggs. I think he will want to know (I saw his flock). I was hoping to get some ducks from him this spring.
So I appreciate the opinions. As I am not experienced, obviously.
But understand me being skeptical not because I don't doubt you are all much more experienced than me, I have posted pictures of ameraucanas in the past and alot of BYC members said they were EE and they turned out to be just fine looking ameraucanas. Please understand I'm not breeding for SOP I am breeding for my own pleasure, ultimately I want to be properly informed.
I will attach pictures of his chickens. ( maybe they are not ameraucanas)
Screenshot_20211202-122846_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20211202-122834_Instagram.jpg

Yes I have Easter Eggers, they are some of my favorites, but that's not what I purchased. I get it. But still I bought 13 chicks, to eventually breed myself. The gentleman I bought them from seems like good people, I believe he is making a living out of this, he sells and ships eggs. I think he will want to know (I saw his flock). I was hoping to get some ducks from him this spring.
So I appreciate the opinions. As I am not experienced, obviously.
But understand me being skeptical not because I don't doubt you are all much more experienced than me, I have posted pictures of ameraucanas in the past and alot of BYC members said they were EE and they turned out to be just fine looking ameraucanas. Please understand I'm not breeding for SOP I am breeding for my own pleasure, ultimately I want to be properly informed.
I will attach pictures of his chickens. ( maybe they are not ameraucanas)View attachment 2916305View attachment 2916307
Those birds ARE wheaten Ams. At the least, they appear so.
That is not changing the fact that the chicks aren't, though.
Can you see how different each chick's pattern is? There's a brown chick, a reddish chick, a stripy chick, all these different colors. The first chick has no muffs. I see yellow skin on a few of them.
There should one be two colorations: The dark male pattern and the pale female coloration.
I'm seeing all sorts of colorations. There's even a creamy-colored male, when he should be dark grey and reddish.

There are so many inconsistencies that I cannot bring myself to believe that the parents are pure.

The chicks look like wheaten ameraucanas, some blue and splash wheatens too. When they are growing out their muffs tend to get thin for a while then fill out 👍sometimes theyll look thinner and throw a clean faced if some Mb/mb for muffs.

But the one chick has 2 copies of yellow skin, you can tell by the yellow beak, maybe the flock has some recessive yellow from a cross at one point, and another chick looks more buff. Being in Canada yall genetics might not be as clean as worked out as in america, but the adult birds look correct for the most part!! Cheers

The chicks look like wheaten ameraucanas, some blue and splash wheatens too. When they are growing out their muffs tend to get thin for a while then fill out 👍sometimes theyll look thinner and throw a clean faced if some Mb/mb for muffs.

But the one chick has 2 copies of yellow skin, you can tell by the yellow beak, maybe the flock has some recessive yellow from a cross at one point, and another chick looks more buff. Being in Canada yall genetics might not be as clean as worked out as in america, but the adult birds look correct for the most part!! Cheers
I only say they're impure because of all those weird colorations. I can understand a few missing muffs or a couple yellow legs from a nonprofessional breeder. But all those together, with those patterns? Hard for me to believe it came from those pure parents.

I only say they're impure because of all those weird colorations. I can understand a few missing muffs or a couple yellow legs from a nonprofessional breeder. But all those together, with those patterns? Hard for me to believe it came from those pure parents.
One chick has an entirely brownish EE-esque pattern. I do not know how pure parents could produce such a coloration.

The breeder male could be carrying some other genes too since the hens look correct. For the most part all the chicks look correct for juvie ameraucanas besides the buff and the yellow beaked bird. All the other colors are wheaten, blue wheaten, and splash wheaten colorings

One chick has an entirely brownish EE-esque pattern. I do not know how pure parents could produce such a coloration.
Now that Im back at work and looking at the pics better, number 3 has too much red in his chest to be pure too. Almost looks like its a mix bag of ameraucansas and EEs. @ thread starter, could the breeder of had other hens too he used? If not the hens look correct but I have a feeling the blue wheaten roo came from someone else and was crossed with EE. Or maybe they all had EE linage at somepoint and the breeder is just doing a good job of cleaning up the line by picking the best hens and going after the best roo too. Just my observations 🤟

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom