Ameraucana Rooster?

That comb does look rather red for an ameraucana pullet, although possible for a mix? For what it's worth, this here is Curly at only 2 months, and I think his comb looks quite a bit more developed than your 3-month-old. I can't find a 3-month pic, but by 4 months Curly had full on hackle/saddle feathers.

Now I have six 10-week olds in my yard, and I've wasted a ridiculous amount of time staring at their combs. I know I'll know when I know and not before, but I still can't stop myself trying to figure it out!
View attachment 2422677
Ohhhh!!!! Interesting! I’ll be staring at my little one for awhile and waiting for crowing or not. 😂 But appreciate the comparison. This is helpful too.

Hi Everyone! Newbie here and have a mixed flock of young hens. I have one Ameraucana that stumps me. It’s almost 3 months old. Is it a cockerel?View attachment 2421646View attachment 2421647View attachment 2421648

Rooster. I have 2 blues for comparison, at 4 months. Left is pullet, right is cockeral.

Feathering is looser on the males, plus yours has a high tail. Pullets tend to have lower until they are almost laying age then it ill start developing up. Hackle feather on the neck are pointy in males. For pullets, they are more uniform.

Not sure why people say pullet?

D8DA7603-29A2-44ED-BC3F-21E6E70EAA04.jpeg

Rooster. I have 2 blues for comparison, at 4 months. Left is pullet, right is cockeral.

Feathering is looser on the males, plus yours has a high tail. Pullets tend to have lower until they are almost laying age then it ill start developing up. Hackle feather on the neck are pointy in males. For pullets, they are more uniform.

View attachment 2423177
Thank you! It’s the tail that started this whole thing. Mine has what looks like a rooster tale—I mean REALLY. It curves up and the feathers are quite long arching over. I have another blue Olive Egger and they look very similar color wise but there are distinct differences—and those have been identified by others in this post. It’s great to get these details—so so helpful!

Thank you! It’s the tail that started this whole thing. Mine has what looks like a rooster tale—I mean REALLY. It curves up and the feathers are quite long arching over. I have another blue Olive Egger and they look very similar color wise but there are distinct differences—and those have been identified by others in this post. It’s great to get these details—so so helpful!

I can take a photo of my rooster for you to compare. He's about 5 months since the photo above and should start feathering out his cock feathers. I've had BBS Ameraucanas for a few years and blues/splash are easier to tell. Blacks take a little more time sometimes.

I can take a photo of my rooster for you to compare. He's about 5 months since the photo above and should start feathering out his cock feathers. I've had BBS Ameraucanas for a few years and blues/splash are easier to tell. Blacks take a little more time sometimes.
Would love that!

View attachment 2423177

Do chickens mature faster brooded inside as opposed to with a hen? This is Curly again, at 4 months, and he's appears quite a bit further along than yours was.

I've been comparing this fall's chicks to my first batch, and assuming they'd develop at a similar rate. But maybe they're slower because this time they're with mom, and the ones I think are pullets could still be boys?? I've been really focused on the combs, but there are definitely some perky tails out there now! :confused:
IMG_3882.JPG

Do chickens mature faster brooded inside as opposed to with a hen? This is Curly again, at 4 months, and he's appears quite a bit further along than yours was.

I've been comparing this fall's chicks to my first batch, and assuming they'd develop at a similar rate. But maybe they're slower because this time they're with mom, and the ones I think are pullets could still be boys?? I've been really focused on the combs, but there are definitely some perky tails out there now! :confused:
View attachment 2423458
I've always heard they mature faster with a hen, but I have never had a broody hatch eggs so have no personal experience.

View attachment 2423458

1EA1E4DF-49E4-4F6C-85D9-A5523FE14B3B.jpeg

Blue and black cockeral. See the hackles are pointy in the neck are?

2D04A0D8-BB3B-4320-9EF3-5DD917CC978C.jpeg

Chicks in brooders will flush out feather faster. The conditions are warmer. With mom, they run around more, burn more calories therefore are smaller early on. However, they learn how to be a chicken earlier and may be smarter and more alert as adults.

I don't think that yours is more developed. Only that yours has a more developed comb, lol. My stock comes from a breeder who focuses on SOP of the breed so in general I inherited chickens that will have smaller pea combs. Not everyone works on the comb size. For Ameraucana, the smaller the better - especially in males.

View attachment 2423547

Blue and black cockeral. See the hackles are pointy in the neck are?

View attachment 2423553

Chicks in brooders will flush out feather faster. The conditions are warmer. With mom, they run around more, burn more calories therefore are smaller early on. However, they learn how to be a chicken earlier and may be smarter and more alert as adults.

I don't think that yours is more developed. Only that yours has a more developed comb, lol. My stock comes from a breeder who focuses on SOP of the breed so in general I inherited chickens that will have smaller pea combs. Not everyone works on the comb size. For Ameraucana, the smaller the better - especially in males.

I thought the feathers looked quite a bit pointier on mine at 4 months, but it might just be that the weird coloring makes them show up so much more.

Interesting about the comb size - I confess I haven't studied up in that much detail, and it didn't occur to me there would be a large variation in the final size. As mine are layers, who will never be shown, perhaps I will count the larger/earlier combs as a plus if it makes my chickens a little bit easier to sex! :p

The time I'd free up without obsessing, if only I didn't love those fluffy cheeks and blue eggs!

Back
Top Bottom