Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Great job to your son!!! [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I came home yesterday to a happy surprise. Sugar laid the first blue egg out of my Ameraucana girls!
    I put it with the other eggs for comparison.
    [​IMG]

Cotton has turned out to look more Wheaten in his coloring. His colors seem to still be changing some and looks like he is slowly losing the white around his head and face/beard. Sorry the picture is a bit blurry as he never stays still for the camera.
    [​IMG]

Cotton is 19 weeks old now. How long does it take for them to finish with all their feather changes? It is neat to watch him develope.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I've found that roo development depends alot on how many other roos you have. If you already have an older, dominant male the younger ones seem to be almost stunted sometimes.

I kinda wish the standard called for white beards. They're so cute at that stage.

Almost forgot! Not the best pic but here's 2 of my Meredith buffs. I justy moved them into the marans coop and they got to free-range for the first time yesterday. I was so happy they came back in at dusk.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    I was really mad yesterday.[​IMG] I found two of my ameraucanas dead. They free range a lot, and these two were laying side by side up by the shop. No marks on them or anything. At first I thought it was two roosters that had possibly flogged themselves to death, but it turned out one was a pullet. I have no idea what happened to them. I couldn't find any marks on them. I have 3 great pyrenees guard dogs and I just can't figure out what might have killed these two without leaving a mark. One was a silver rooster and the other was a lavender pullet.

Other than that, I've been very pleased with my ameraucanas so far. I have 3 wheaten roosters, and it is going to be difficult to decide which one to keep. Same for my lavenders. I've got several nice blacks, but I think I have the pick of the hatch selected. There is one black rooster with the biggest, weirdest, floppy comb. Gosh, otherwise he is a nice one, but that comb! If I can get a picture of it one of these days I will post it. My silvers have always been somewhat flighty, but they are calming down nicely. Some of them even jump up on my lap now or on my shoulder when I give them their treats. I have a couple guineas that run with them, and these two guineas will pick on the younger chickens sometimes. I think some of my chickens jump on my lap or shoulder not just for the corn but to feel safe from the guineas.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:yep the white face is adorable. Looks like Cotton is loosing the last of his cotton. [​IMG] Right now he is in the layer coop which is run by Lester who is my Wyandotte rooster.
    Cinnimon was the second rooster but was being to aggressive in pursuing the younger girls. I took him out as the broodies are raising their chicks and I do not want to risk him being around the wee ones. Cinnimon is a Partridge Silkie. Wish he would be as sweet to the girls as he is with me. So yeah poor Cotton is in the mix right now.

Eventually we will be building a seperate coop for all of the BW/W Ameraucanas as I want to breed them down the road. I have 8 girls, but only 5 are up to par so 3 will continue to live in the layer coop.

HappyMtn your buffs are lovely
    Ivywoods sorry to hear about your loss. [​IMG].

Cotton is my only Ameraucana rooster so hopefully he continues to mature nicely.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:[​IMG] Yep, I've been trying to get a really good pic of him, and the ones I've taken are "ok", but that's by far the best one!! [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG] What gorgeous Buffs! [​IMG]

That color has been on my list for awhile now. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

8. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Gorgeous!!! Buffs are on my someday list [​IMG]

9. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    You all are killing me!! [​IMG] I've drooled so much over all your pretty birds and eggs pictures [​IMG] (I sooooo want blue and green layers) that my keyboard is threatening to call a for a lifeguard! I would love to find some Ameraucanas somewhere near me, but so far no luck. Not wanting show quality, just nice birds with cute beards [​IMG] Is there anyone out there?

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Gorgeous!!! Buffs are on my someday list [​IMG]

I had these shipped to me after the eggs wielded all roos. And then I got more roos! So then I got more eggs.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by