Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

It is copyrighted and if we go and copy it for everyone to see no one would buy the SOP. (not to mention illegal)

The ABC has some general breed characteristics listed on our site.

We could probably make a general description ourselves. There is one listed here on BYC under the Breeds Section.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

It is copyrighted and if we go and copy it for everyone to see no one would buy the SOP. (not to mention illegal)

The ABC has some general breed characteristics listed on our site.

We could probably make a general description ourselves. There is one listed here on BYC under the Breeds Section.

I just took a quick look at the Breeds section and the description for the Ameracaunas and Arucaunas are identical! That no doubt contributes to the confusion.​

Thanks Jean - You are a ship of facts in a sea of uncertainty.

8/25-26/2011 The saga continues. So this is what happened last evening.

My husband asked me to stop by home after work and before I went back down. He's coming with me and in his hand is printouts, pages and pages of them. Seems DH was doing a little research on the net. He has the current standards printed out, APA judging rules, lists of who's who in charge of what and where, and I don't know what else. It was impressive but I tell him I decided to let it all be and just do the recording of what happens and by whom and ask more questions of people other than the WIC.

We are going around to the cages, taking each bird out. He holds and comforts them as I rinse out the water, replace with new, pick out the poop and fill the feeder. It was also convenient to have him holding them so I could get a good look at all of them without worry they would panic and dart for the wild outdoors. While we were doing our duties, the WIC was in the barn and when we got close enough I thought I'd say hello and introduce my husband to her. She took the opportunity to tell me she had spoke with the powers that be on my behalf. She said that although the birds could not be moved from 1 class to another, my birds would be judged in the correct class and although disqualified from getting any recognition, I would be told where they would have come in IF they were in the correct class to begin with. I was thrilled! I thought that was so fair and nice of her/them/whomever!

So DH and I are leaving and there is the fair’s office. I know that I was to ask about banned for life and check that they have a current SOP in house but I was so happy that they judge would look at my birds I wanted no more drama. I walk past it once, then twice, then a third time and Mark stopped by a booth to speak with some one. I have to do what you all advised. Ask more questions of other people. So into the office I went. I quietly asked to speak to some one about the rules of exhibition at the fair. I was referred to a young woman who's name I did not get but her name tag said her name and then secretary under that.

I asked if it was true that if I pull my birds that I will be “banned for life”. She said the rules are clearly marked in the book. I said "yes, Section 14 of the rules clearly states they will be on display until the fair ends and must be picked up before a certain time on the last day - nothing about "BANNED FOR LIFE." She reacted like she expected I didn't even read the rules let alone I would know where to quote the specific part at issue. She told me that they couldn't print all of the rules in the book, it would get too thick. Since she was being silly, I sillyed her right back with "it's just 3 words- it won't make the book that much thicker.” Now that I have her attention, she now wants to know what's going on. I give it to her in a nutshell - and how I wanted to take my birds home almost as fast as I got them here due to them being in the wrong class and there was not health check. I almost yelped when she retorted that WIC ( she used her actual first name) knows all the birds coming to the show because she is a pullorum tester. I was starting to get anxious, after all, the only reason I was here was to get clarification on the "banned for life".

I informed her I was also a pullorum tester, that I saw birds being moved into cages from their car after the owners drove up after me, walked in, found their names on the cages, and started putting in birds. I told the secretary that WIC didn’t know me or my birds and didn’t check them – only my NPIP certification. This made me nervous. My husband, seeing that things might escalate beyond politeness said can we leave our name and be contacted by those in charge – those being the Pres & vice Pres. She asked what I wanted to talk to them about and that was:I would like to have permission to remove my birds on Saturday as I am driving my father to O’hare Airport Sunday and time would be tight without being banned for life. We left and all were happy & smiling. I was going to accomplish my mission: Document and report – let the pros figure out if there is something to be done. I had nothing to fight over after all – my birds would be judged even though they were not actually competing – I was happy with the compromise WIC had worked out for me.

On the way home WIC called me by cell. Told me that I was moved into AOSB and I would be judged accordingly. That I don’t think is fair as it is my clerical error that got me into the wrong class anyway. Told me she had checked the birds the people who drove up and started putting birds away over at the horse barn. Those people didn’t know she had checked their birds because another member of their family had brought the birds over to the barn and that person was not with them when they were putting away the birds and they had no knowlege the birds they came with were checked at that time. So those birds are OK. Told me she had checked my birds. She told me that the judge who did the first judging is not the same person ( APA VP) who will be doing the judging on Saturday. Glad to hear that!

She told me that she is not a vet and not qualified to check every bird and explained how it would be a transfer nightmare if the bird she inspected 2, 3, or more birds before she checked later clean ones were infected. I can see both those points. It’s a big job – too much for even the most energetic young person to do alone (she and I are not young), and she didn’t write the rules.

Speaking of those rules, This a direct quote:
4. Upon admission to a show, all entries shall be examined by the official county fair veterinarian or qualified state personnel who shall also receive and examine all certificates necessary for admission of birds to a show. Birds not in showing condition will be excused from exhibition and removed from the premises. Any fowl showing signs of illness during the fair will be removed from the exhibition grounds.

There is an exemption at the bottom for 1 day shows where poultry arrive and go home the same day – obviously this in not a 1 day.

That is where I got the wrong idea this would be a safer show to attend for my birds.

I will speak with the fair’s Pres or VP when they call me to get clarification on this banned for life thing. At that time I will ask why this previous section 4 took up so much verbiage in the book and is not enforced when “banned for life” was too much verbiage making the book too large and is enforced.

Any other questions I should ask?

Last edited:
Quote:

Trouble is - I bet there are a lot of judges inexperienced with Ameraucanas that feel EEs don't lack Ameraucana characteristics (most prominent being the beard and muffs). I checked three of my EEs feet this morning. Soles were green, not yellow. In fact, one of my EEs has slate colored legs. It may be wrong but I bet it IS what's going on. There are pages and pages that allow them to "cut for defects" that also cover combs and color. So the judges definitely have some latitude.

I have some Blue EE. If I did not know the parents I would not be able to tell. Roo was a Black Orpington hens were splash Ameraucana. The only thing I have notice is the comb seems dark.

Ooops! Sorry. I did NOT realize that the name was clickable
hide.gif
That's what comes of being technology challenged
hu.gif

Wanted to share a few pics of my Silver, She should be laying pretty soon. She is a sweetheart, but definitely flighty. I can hardly wait for a pretty blue egg. I hatched her from eggs from pips&peeps.

48594_silver.jpg

Here she is with her best buddy...

48594_silver_n_orley.jpg

Quote:
To me this is the most important of it all, and admission of her wrong doing and the call you received an olive branch being offered. It's up to you to accept it or not.

I'm not knowlegeable of the fair's schedule, but would seriously doubt that the 4H judgeing on Thursday has anything at all to do with the APA sanctioned show being judged Saturday, regardless of the who the judge was. If memory serves, 4H showing was as much about getting an animal ready to show as the quality of the exhibit shown, and I'm glad that the kid was rewarded.

Being only an inexperienced spectator of poultry shows, rather than exihibitor, I have no knowledge of the rules or traditions of showing poutry. I do know that, at the shows I attended, some of the birds judged Saturday were taken home after the judgeing, though it seemed to be a tradition to stay over; in fact I bought a cockeral off the exhibitor's row that was later awarded BOV, and left with him that afternoon. To be honest, I have no idea what takes place on Sunday, always having left after Saturday's judgeing of the birds that interested me was complete. At other types of shows I exhibited at, the second day was either a complete new show under a different judge, or sometimes to determine champion of champions. I guess if I entered under an agreement to stay through untill Sunday, it would be up to them to waive that condition or not.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I just took a quick look at the Breeds section and the description for the Ameracaunas and Arucaunas are identical! That no doubt contributes to the confusion.

Interesting. I don't read the SOP Araucana description and Ameraucana description as even close to identical.

Back
Top Bottom