Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I am new to Ameraucanas and have recently bought a trio of bantams, Love them!! I'd like to add a few more and have a question, since, like everyone else new to the breed, the difference's in Araucanas and Ameraucanas can be confusing. I am looking at buying a trio of Araucanas. The cockerel is rumpless and the pullets have tails. Would the pullets be considered Ameraucanas or Araucanas? Thanks

Cindy

Quote:
Well, personally, before knowing the difference between the two (it isn't too confusing, Araucanas shouldn't have beards/fluffy faces nor tails; Ameraucanas shouldn't have green legs) - I think one needs to learn about Easter Eggers.
wink.png
LOADS of people and especialy hatcheries out there sell under false claim which really confuses people; they sell "Araucanas" or "Ameraucanas" but in reality they're mutts that lay different colored eggs, often look like Ameraucanas but without a recognized color, and often have green legs.

So the question is - Are your birds of recognized color? Do the Araucanas have beards? Do the Ameraucanas have green legs, yellow legs, or slate blue legs? What does the "tailed Araucana" look like? Some Easter Eggers are indeed rumpless and some Araucanas can be tailed, although the standard asks for rumplessness.

If a chicken lays blue eggs or its parents laid blue eggs, but it does not fit to the standard of either Ameraucana or Araucana, it's an Easter Egger. Araucanas are allowed to come in unrecognized colors and still be called such, but they require willow-green legs, yellow soles, NO tail, NO beard/muffs/fluffy face, and a pea comb.

Green or brown eggs means it's likely an "Easter Egger."

smile.png

Thanks for all the info! A Lot to process. Of the three I recently bought I have 2 that I know are a recognized color, the Cockerel is wheaten and the pullet is black. Both have beards and I'm getting a really pretty blue egg. The third I suspected was an EE as she has no beard, but I was told some do not?? I haven't gotten an egg from her yet so don't know what color she lays. I need to check leg color on all three. The Araucanas I am looking at are on bidbird, here's the link.
http://bidbird.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1002912383

Well I don't want to offend the seller but those aren't true purebred Araucanas. One has yellow legs on a bird who should have green (yellow is allowed in certain colors) and one has slate legs and white soles, not allowed at all.

Ameraucanas should come with beard/muffs. A clean face is a DQ but sadly does occasionally happen. Leg color will be the defining trait of EE vs Ameraucana.

Quote:
They kinda look like somebody crossed araucana with ameraucana. The birds in the back appear to have beards, and araucanas should never have beards. They'd have tufts that stick out to the side- one, two, or none.
I could be wrong- I have gotten pure araucana bantams in TN.

Quote:
They kinda look like somebody crossed araucana with ameraucana. The birds in the back appear to have beards, and araucanas should never have beards. They'd have tufts that stick out to the side- one, two, or none.
I could be wrong- I have gotten pure araucana bantams in TN.

I looked at the birds you mentioned at the auction. Don't buy them, they are not Araucanas. He should not be selling birds with tails and muffs as Araucanas and Wheaten is not a recognized color in Araucanas.

Keep in mind that you very seldom see real Araucanas, so do some research of the seller before you ever buy any....unless you just want some colored eggs and don't care that they are mutts.

Walt

Thanks everyone, you've answered my questions. I was mainly wondering if the two breeds were ever bred together/mixed as that's how the birds in the auction appeared to me also. My intention is certainly not to offend the seller either, just trying to learn.
I am Really enjoying my little guys! They are friendly little birds, I absolutely love going out to the coop to collect my one blue egg LOL!! And so far she has laid one daily, my non poultry owning friends think it's the coolest thing ever.
big_smile.png

I do plan to add more and even if these guys turn out to be EE's I'm still glad to have them as they have introduced me to the breed. I had to do some rearranging and by the time I got them in a pen it was getting too dark to take pics so I'll try to get some tomorrow and post. I do think I will stick to the Ameraucanas for now, even though I really like they way the rumpless birds look. One new breed at a time to learn about is enough and I don't want to deal with the lethal gene.

Cindy

Quote:
Not all that many people actually show their birds, so as long as you are happy with them that is all that matters. Watching chickens is a great way to relax. You are very lucky, my non poultry friends think I'm nuts doing this.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom