Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Now, now Muggs, you can't be a snob on here. LOL I was hoping you wanted one of the roos, actually and would give me any color hen for it. These roos are from Jean, and they are beautiful. I'll meet you half way with him.

I plan to keep one of the black roos for my lav girls, but the other one has to go. I have a Lav roo that can go too, but only to someone who wants blue eggs, not Show Quality birds....something about his coloring that isn't totally right....but he's a looker regardless. (I forget what the woman who sold him to me said regarding coloring, just that it wasn't SQ)

Yes his coloring was "splotchy", so he wasn't a good show bird but his beard was outstanding. One of the best I've had.
Here he is....
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/chicken2008_photos/2011-08-14_11-38-45_79.jpg

AND he's a wonderful roo. Very Friendly, sweet and good to the girls. I just have toooo many roos. And it's not my fault. I only hatch girls. I don't know where these roos came from.
smile.png

Edited to add: Thank you Chicken Stalker for the pic. I do love him I just , just, just....well, you know. I don't think I'm going to get any takers this time of year, so I'll probably feed them all winter and IF the hens start laying, in the spring, I'll hatch whatever I get....with those 3 roos around I'll either have lavs or splits, right? Now to go talk to my silkie about going broody at the right moment this spring. Anyone got an extra incubator they want to let go for cheap?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes his coloring was "splotchy", so he wasn't a good show bird but his beard was outstanding. One of the best I've had.
Here he is....
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/chicken2008_photos/2011-08-14_11-38-45_79.jpg

AND he's a wonderful roo. Very Friendly, sweet and good to the girls. I just have toooo many roos. And it's not my fault. I only hatch girls. I don't know where these roos came from.
smile.png

Edited to add: Thank you Chicken Stalker for the pic. I do love him I just , just, just....well, you know. I don't think I'm going to get any takers this time of year, so I'll probably feed them all winter and IF the hens start laying, in the spring, I'll hatch whatever I get....with those 3 roos around I'll either have lavs or splits, right? Now to go talk to my silkie about going broody at the right moment this spring. Anyone got an extra incubator they want to let go for cheap?

Here's the chant:

Wait for spring! Wait for spring! Wait for spring!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
What do you think? Should I wait for spring?

These girls are as old as the boys, if not older....I don't know why they aren't laying yet. I was hoping to have blue eggs for Thanksgiving dinner. They are 6 months old this weekend.

Quote:

These girls are as old as the boys, if not older....I don't know why they aren't laying yet. I was hoping to have blue eggs for Thanksgiving dinner. They are 6 months old this weekend.

I had pullets that were at least a month old when I got them in April and they just started laying maybe 3 weeks ago! In fact my marans are starting to lay even though they don't have any extra light... they will start in their own time.
pop.gif

Quote:

Mine are seven months old and 4 of them have just started laying, so it should be soon
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I have a 33 week old Silver Am that is not laying yet. You might have a few more weeks to wait for those eggs!
sad.png

Quote:

I have a 33 week old Silver Am that is not laying yet. You might have a few more weeks to wait for those eggs!
sad.png

So I guess I wait for spring. Sigh But they best lay 100 eggs a week. They owe me.

Quote:
sad.png

So I guess I wait for spring. Sigh But they best lay 100 eggs a week. They owe me.

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
sad.png

I find that keeping expectations VERY low when it comes to chickens, MAY lead to pleasant surprises. Better that way round!!

My Lav ameraucana who hatched in early spring laid a grand total of 9 tiny (very blue) eggs before she quit for winter (and it is not exactly winter weather in San Diego) . And then yesterday she aggressively went for me and pecked me - probably for having stolen her microeggs
th.gif

And then, of a dozen expensive wheaten Ameraucana eggs I picked up locally I had 5 chicks hatch. That was disappointing, but not as bad as the fact that 4 of the 5 are boys
th.gif
And you can't give away boys just now.

On the other hand I set 13 swedish flower hen eggs last week and at least 12 (probably all 13 ) are developing which almost makes up for it.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom