Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Wheaten Ameraucana hens should have black tails.As in solid, pure BLACK. Only the top most pair should have smudgy/smuttiness of wheaten on the outer web.

I'd agree with the owner, however honestly, I've seen very very few Wheaties these days who truly do have good black tails, so, don't fret too much.

Not exactly correct.

TAIL: Two top main tail feathers rich wheaten, slightly stippled with black. Balance of main tail feathers dull black, outer web, slightly edged with wheaten.

These LA chicks are 1 week old. I do have three BCM chicks in the photo, not splits. I had 100% hatch of my lockdown, a first for me with shipped eggs. Only 2 LA eggs were clear and did not make it into lockdown.

Would like your feedback for what to look for, should I separate early for particular traits, etc.

Thank you!
200x200px-ZC-beaa8d67_IMG_1162.jpeg

For full sized photo:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6385044/width/400/flags/LL

Watch for beards, mushy or single combs, and take pics weekly if you can so you know how fast they feather in. Especially roos.
wink.png

The great thing about keeping ameraucanas and marans is the cull girls can always just go in the other pen.

I'm starting to worry now that my Ameraucanas won't have a big enough beard to be considered an Ameraucana.
Here's a closer pic of one of their beards at about 4weeks old. So my question is, are they normally this small
at this age, or do they just not have a good gene? And if I want bigger beards, do I need to mate my hens with a rooster
with a bigger beard or do I go after completely new hens and roosters?

If they are all like that, they are still ameraucanas but with a major fault. I have always put mine in with the marans to make olive eggers or sold them as EEs. Even if you breed to a nice bearded bird, you run the risk of subsequent generations not having 2 copies of the "beard gene" and you can have more clean-faced birds pop up.

Last edited:
When I purchased them as chics (about 4days old) the breeder also gave me an 18-egg carton filled with very nice shades of blue eggs. So I'd rather avoid mix breeding because Im wanting to keep the blue consistency. But what would be the best route when trying to obtain the beard in future generations?

I love this breed. All of my girls love attention. The boys are more standoffish but still friendly when treats are involved.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/HorseFeathersFarm/1c14ad44.jpg
And No.23 I like her wing placement better but she seems to have fluff at rhe base of her tail. Hadnt noticed that before this picture.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/HorseFeathersFarm/593d64d1.jpg
How do I upload direct from an iPhone? Is it possible?
Very nice looking hen, is the fluff at the tail base a DQ?

Wish I could tell you how on the iPhone. I am still struggling with the computer uploads with the new system. Uploading this morning was a challenge due to errors.

Would love some input on the 3 pictured below.

My 3 BBS Ameraucanas, with my broody BCM (She does not know to be broody in a nest box!). The Ameraucanas are 15 weeks old. Beards and muffs are a bit 'sticky' from yogurt and applesauce. I believe the black on the right is a cockerel. The comb is a bit purple from Blue-Kote I applied after a tiff through the hardware cloth with my Blue Wheaten cockerel.

LL

Other pics of my suspected Black boy.
LL

Flash washed out color of the comb. And that is yogurt all of his face.

Back
Top Bottom