Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just did a similar cross last year, using a nice blue cockerel. All my offspring except one were blue or splash.

The egg color has improved. We'll see how the chicks turn out this year, the girls are laying like gang busters.

When you cross with another color to improve type and size do you run into the problem of leakage later even if you choose the chicks that appear the right color? Do those genes hide sometimes? I just recently started seeing the breeders here telling people to cross colors and then get back to the original color. But a few pages back we were talking about how that is where EEs comes from. So confusing. =(

Generally recessive white will hide any color. I have seen a few that leak a bit of orangey red, but you can cull those pretty quickly from the flock.

When you breed a black or blue ameraucana that is carrying recessive white to a white bird they will breed true 50% of the time which is the standard we go by. "Will it breed true 50% of the time?"

You will get 50% white chicks and 50% blue or black chicks. They are not a funky color.

When I have crossed other colors, yes, I consider them ee's until they will breed true. I sell any birds that I feel are unworthy of continuing the project with as ee's.

Generally recessive white will hide any color. I have seen a few that leak a bit of orangey red, but you can cull those pretty quickly from the flock.

When you breed a black or blue ameraucana that is carrying recessive white to a white bird they will breed true 50% of the time which is the standard we go by. "Will it breed true 50% of the time?"

You will get 50% white chicks and 50% blue or black chicks. They are not a funky color.

When I have crossed other colors, yes, I consider them ee's until they will breed true. I sell any birds that I feel are unworthy of continuing the project with as ee's.
X2
thumbsup.gif

We dropped by Padillas Peeps last night. Their chickens are beautiful and well cared for. The family is extremely knowledgable as well. We now have 2 Splash Orpingtons from their flock.

Last week I got 3 wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas from CowgirlGrace / Lyn A, I think some of you know her. This is exciting, my first experience with chicks. I know it's probably too early to tell, but just for the fun of it could I ask y'all to take a guess at their sex. I really hope at least one will be a girl!

They are all 2 weeks old.
I have 4 pics of each, so I'll put them in separate posts. THANKS!!

(click to enlarge)

Back
Top Bottom