Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Can someone tell me the difference from a Easter Egger and a Ameraucana?
An Easter Egger is a chicken with the blue egg gene that does not meet the Araucana standard. Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers that are bred to an accepted standard. It's like "what came first, the chicken or the egg". All Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers but not all Easter Eggers are Ameraucanas. Tom

An Easter Egger is a chicken with the blue egg gene that does not meet the Araucana standard. Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers that are bred to an accepted standard. It's like "what came first, the chicken or the egg". All Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers but not all Easter Eggers are Ameraucanas.  Tom
Oh okay thanks for the help!

Can someone tell me the difference from a Easter Egger and a Ameraucana?

You can find out all the info about Ameraucanas on this website: http://www.ameraucana.org/

Easter Eggers are basically mutts (some of the cutest mutts ever!). Usually Ameraucana, but sometimes Araucanas that have been bred to different breeds. It's usually done on purpose for different egg color production, i.e. an Ameraucana with a Welsummer or Maran will give you beautiful olive colored eggs, while a Ameraucana with a Buff Orpington will give you beautiful light green eggs.

Edit to add, not the breeding pair will give different color eggs, but their offsprings.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom