Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Have they laid any yet and what age are they? I think ameraucanas start laying later. I had one that was 10 or 11 months old before she laid. Most of my birds have been poor layers. Some of my birds lay 2 to 3 eggs a week. Then there are others that lay 4 to 5. My best blue colored egg comes from one of my best layers.

Have they laid any yet and what age are they? I think ameraucanas start laying later. I had one that was 10 or 11 months old before she laid. Most of my birds have been poor layers. Some of my birds lay 2 to 3 eggs a week. Then there are others that lay 4 to 5. My best blue colored egg comes from one of my best layers.

they are mature layers, just never give eggs.

I'm out of thoughts. Hopefully someone else can chime in
I can give it a shot . I believe it may be genetic . I find I can improve laying in my Ameraucana by genetic diversity in a line . I believe in color families to accomplish this . Some colors cross well with little worry . Black , blue , splash are well known . Lavender and black work well . White is the best color to produce diversity in as white can cover about anything . Wheaten and buff work OK . You have to breed back to wheaten or buff to restore the color you want . So in short inbreeding can reduce laying . Your best show birds will be inbred . I try to keep utility up in my birds . A chicken is for eggs and meat and should be bred for this . My opinion only .

Hallo it has been almost 2 months without visiting byc in the hatch along i told every one that i have crossed my ameraucana to an Arubian jungle fowl well i have hatch more than i would off all the girls have super dark green shanks i have never seen than with other breeds they have their shanks darker then the pure breed ameraucanas i have is this normal ? the mother has pinkish legs and babies have super dark green legs u can even say the black greenish

Hallo it has been almost 2 months without visiting byc in the hatch along i told every one that i have crossed my ameraucana to an Arubian jungle fowl well i have hatch more than i would off all the girls have super dark green shanks i have never seen than with other breeds they have their shanks darker then the pure breed ameraucanas i have is this normal ? the mother has pinkish legs and babies have super dark green legs u can even say the black greenish

Ameracaunas don't have green legs, their legs are a slate (grey) color.

Jerry:
I always look forward to your posts because I learn so much from you. You say, "White is the best color to produce diversity in as white can cover about anything." I thought white masked a lot of things that could introduce problems down the road. If I was to bring white to my wheatens/blue wheatens for improved size and laying, and then cross breed the offspring back to my wheatens, don't I risk unwanted traits for years to come? Maybe I just need a more detailed explanation of your statement about whites. Thanks.

Jerry:
I always look forward to your posts because I learn so much from you. You say, "White is the best color to produce diversity in as white can cover about anything." I thought white masked a lot of things that could introduce problems down the road. If I was to bring white to my wheatens/blue wheatens for improved size and laying, and then cross breed the offspring back to my wheatens, don't I risk unwanted traits for years to come? Maybe I just need a more detailed explanation of your statement about whites. Thanks.

I am talking about maintaining a line of whites . You have many options to introduce new blood as you will still be able to pick out white segregates in the second generation . I should add that if you keep your whites based on black you then know what is in there . BBS or black and lavender . Yes bred to wheaten would cause problems .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom