Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Yes thank
here are 2 pics of the legs of my 2months old White am pullet she her mom and dad has gray legs but the halve breeds tend to have gray greenish legs the full breeds does have slate colour

I am talking about maintaining a line of whites . You have many options to introduce new blood as you will still be able to pick out white segregates in the second generation . I should add that if you keep your whites based on black you then know what is in there . BBS or black and lavender . Yes bred to wheaten would cause problems .
I agree not to cross to wheaten, because recessive white tends to leak red/gold. The best cross is to splash or blue. And the black color line is obviously the best for type.

I can give it a shot . I believe it may be genetic . I find I can improve laying in my Ameraucana by genetic diversity in a line . I believe in color families to accomplish this . Some colors cross well with little worry . Black , blue , splash are well known . Lavender and black work well . White is the best color to produce diversity in as white can cover about anything . Wheaten and buff work OK . You have to breed back to wheaten or buff to restore the color you want . So in short inbreeding can reduce laying . Your best show birds will be inbred . I try to keep utility up in my birds . A chicken is for eggs and meat and should be bred for this . My opinion only . 
Jerry, i will second that opinion! My goal is to be as close to SOP while maintaining bird size, egg size, laying rate and egg color. Ask me how i'm doing with all that! Lol. Needless to say i ve still got some work to do.

Some pics of my babies. Ten from P. Smith. They are about 5 weeks now. I am starting to see major differences in comb development so I can guess on sex finally. They have been outside for two weeks now (I'm in south south Texas) and they have a big brother for company and security. I'll post his picture last. His name is Goose Goose. These babies have been the most well balanced and healthy of the four batches of chicks EE/bantam/polish I've had this year. I am absolutely in love with Ameraucanas!

Hello, and thanks for the good information in this thread. Last spring I got some nice black Ameracauna chicks, and kept a cockrel and four pullets. Very nice birds, BUT the pullets didn't start laying until they were ten to eleven months of age. I was horrified, as I never had show bred birds before, and somehow expected better production (don't know why,but so) . I lost interest in hatching eggs from this group, but if I hatched outcrosses from this rooster from other hens, would I get late or normal laying hens? Mary

Back
Top Bottom