Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Well there is another cure that works . This may seem harsh or cruel to some but better than the ax . Trim the beak to the point of it bleeding . A dog toenail trimmer works . Have blood stop powder handy or be ready to cauterize the wound with a hot knife blade or soldering iron . Most of us do not have a debeaking machine like commercial operations . The idea is to make the beak sore so they stop pecking on hard things .By the time it heals they have forgot about breaking eggs . It is best to do all birds in the pen . Otherwise another bird may break the eggs and the habit continues .
Ouch! Nah, the worst thing I will do is put them in isolation and I don't want to do that. I don't eat my chickens.....or even my beef cattle. Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense, and it would be a lot healthier than store bought, but I just can't do it.

Ouch! Nah, the worst thing I will do is put them in isolation and I don't want to do that. I don't eat my chickens.....or even my beef cattle. Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense, and it would be a lot healthier than store bought, but I just can't do it.

Yeah I do not use this method but know some that have . Just sharing information .

Good morning :)

I was told my baby is an Ameracauna ..... but after all my reading I wonder if she really is ... or an Easter Egger (I read it's not common to get Ameracaunas). My Gerty is 2 weeks old ... has tufts by her ears but no collar of feathers. Can you tell by looking at her if she is a true Ameracauna? Or do I have to wait until she starts laying eggs to really find out?

Good morning :) I was told my baby is an Ameracauna ..... but after all my reading I wonder if she really is ... or an Easter Egger (I read it's not common to get Ameracaunas). My Gerty is 2 weeks old ... has tufts by her ears but no collar of feathers. Can you tell by looking at her if she is a true Ameracauna? Or do I have to wait until she starts laying eggs to really find out?
Looks like you got yourself a 100% pure genuine EE... nothing wrong with that. Its where most of us started....

Ouch!  Nah, the worst thing I will do is put them in isolation and I don't want to do that. I don't eat my chickens.....or even my beef cattle.  Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense, and it would be a  lot healthier than store bought, but I just can't do it.

It may or may not work, but pinless peepers might be a solution. I have them here and sometimes use them in my grow out pen when I notice a beard and muff picker.

I am certainly no expert, and I do know there are those here that come close to qualifying as experts. I'm sure they'll chime in, but that's not an ameraucana. Pretty sure, and as mentioned the experts will correct this if I'm wrong, but pretty certain the purebred 'ameraucana' will have a beard from the time they hatch (what you're calling the collar of feathers). When I bought my 8 back in Feb, first thing I looked for was the beard, if they didnt' have the beard, I knew that breeder wouldn't be selling any to me. Now, not that I wouldn't have been satisfied with some EE, but don't try to sell me an EE calling it a purebred, at purebred pricing.....

as far as 'not common' to get ameraucanas, well there are a LOT of breeders, but you're right, not a breed usually sold at the feed stores or big hatcheries.

I am certainly no expert, and I do know there are those here that come close to qualifying as experts. I'm sure they'll chime in, but that's not an ameraucana. Pretty sure, and as mentioned the experts will correct this if I'm wrong, but pretty certain the purebred 'ameraucana' will have a beard from the time they hatch (what you're calling the collar of feathers). When I bought my 8 back in Feb, first thing I looked for was the beard, if they didnt' have the beard, I knew that breeder wouldn't be selling any to me. Now, not that I wouldn't have been satisfied with some EE, but don't try to sell me an EE calling it a purebred, at purebred pricing.....

as far as 'not common' to get ameraucanas, well there are a LOT of breeders, but you're right, not a breed usually sold at the feed stores or big hatcheries.
It more has to do with being a recognized color, having slate legs, laying blue/green eggs, and also have a beard/muff/correct comb, etc.

It more has to do with being a recognized color, having slate legs, laying blue/green eggs, and also have a beard/muff/correct comb, etc.

oh I know, and for me, the most readily recognizable feature is the beard and the legs. feather color can change as they age, well somewhat anyway, and of course months pass before we get to see egg color.......and not to rehash what went on for 3 or 4 pages, LOL, but the official 'definition' says 'blue eggs' no mention of green
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom