Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Thanks. I called and emailed the Norco person for hatching eggs but he didn't return my voicemails. Norco is a 4-6 hour round trip for us with traffic so it wasn't worth driving out there unless I could confirm what he had. I got day olds shipped before but since ours hatched on Wednesday/Thursday, I was trying to find some local ones of similar to add to the brooder now. I just went back to return the two Light Brahma chicks (which had severe pasty butt too) and they tried to give me Araucanas--saying they were Ameraucanas. Chicken sagas are only less dramatic than horse sagas.
Chicken dramas are pennies, horse dramas thousands. I gave up horse dramas for chickens.

Thanks. I called and emailed the Norco person for hatching eggs but he didn't return my voicemails. Norco is a 4-6 hour round trip for us with traffic so it wasn't worth driving out there unless I could confirm what he had. I got day olds shipped before but since ours hatched on Wednesday/Thursday, I was trying to find some local ones of similar to add to the brooder now. I just went back to return the two Light Brahma chicks (which had severe pasty butt too) and they tried to give me Araucanas--saying they were Ameraucanas. Chicken sagas are only less dramatic than horse sagas.

For REAL Araucana? Ear tufts and tailless? If this woman is telling you that Light Brahma are Ameraucana I wouldn't trust that she has Araucana, they are pretty rare. Sounds like she is just trying to get you to pay for something and go away.

Thanks.  I called and emailed the Norco person for hatching eggs but he didn't return my voicemails.  Norco is a 4-6 hour round trip for us with traffic so it wasn't worth driving out there unless I could confirm what he had.   I got day olds shipped before but since ours hatched on Wednesday/Thursday, I was trying to find some local ones of similar to add to the brooder now.  I just went back to return the two Light Brahma chicks (which had severe pasty butt too) and they tried to give me Araucanas--saying they were Ameraucanas.  Chicken sagas are only less dramatic than horse sagas. 
Gotta side with bruceha on this one. I think, at best, she may be trying to sell you Easter Eggers. Nothing wrong with them as pets and layers, but they are not standard bred Ameraucanas. I too am a huge fan of shipping live chicks. Losses are usually less than 10%, and a lot of them are successfully shipped with no losses. There are many reputable breeders that ship very high quality birds. Check the Ameraucana Breeder's Club and Ameraucana Alliance websites and look for a breeder near you. I had my chicks shipped from Texas to SC and lost one of 35

Quote: The Araucana chicks did have ear tufts and looked at least 3-5 days old and didn't have tails developing. I just had my heart set on Ameraucanas since our Wheatens in the past gave us the most vivid blue eggs. It's hard to find places that have chicks available to ship now. I really was hoping to find some the around the same age as my brooder chicks.

The Araucana chicks did have ear tufts and looked at least 3-5 days old and didn't have tails developing. I just had my heart set on Ameraucanas since our Wheatens in the past gave us the most vivid blue eggs. It's hard to find places that have chicks available to ship now. I really was hoping to find some the around the same age as my brooder chicks.
You might try Once in a Blue Moon Farm: http://www.onceinabluemoonfarmstead.com/ . She actually is on here and posts occasionally. I will be getting some W/BW and Lavs from her in June. There are probably others on here that have chicks as well.

How is little Sammy, BTW?
Candled Johnny's this weekend. 4/12...
At least I'll get a few from him, but he's nowhere near where he should be. The splash was off a little this time, too. 8/12

Well...IF (lol) that is Sammy, he's a good looking little boy! I'll see if I can get a picture of him later today. Of course, Sammy could come from another hatch, too....But so far, I'm very happy with what Max is producing - especially the line breeding on the hen I got from Clif - those are wowser!

Well...IF (lol) that is Sammy, he's a good looking little boy!  I'll see if I can get a picture of him later today.  Of course, Sammy could come from another hatch, too....But so far, I'm very happy with what Max is producing - especially the line breeding on the hen I got from Clif - those are wowser!
Pretty is nice, but I'm going for effective...

How is little Sammy, BTW?
Candled Johnny's this weekend. 4/12...
At least I'll get a few from him, but he's nowhere near where he should be. The splash was off a little this time, too. 8/12

Well...IF (lol) that is Sammy, he's a good looking little boy! I'll see if I can get a picture of him later today. Of course, Sammy could come from another hatch, too....But so far, I'm very happy with what Max is producing - especially the line breeding on the hen I got from Clif - those are wowser!
Pretty is nice, but I'm going for effective...

Little early to tell on that...but I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom