Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Not a different story, just more long-winded. I simplified it down. Basically, they all started out being called Araucana. Then came the Araucana breed. Then came the Ameraucana breed. The birds that no longer fit either breed, are now called Easter Eggers. But technically, they were all Easter Eggers, when they first came to the U.S.

Actually I purchased them years ago. They're the old ladies that rule the coop these days,

My Orloff/Legbars were obvious pretty early, since the boys got the barring and the girls are brown with a few random spangles. Sill waiting on eggs from them, it should be soon! If they lay green they'll be a special kind of EE, muffed, bearded and crested with a walnut comb. :gig

I've got a Silkie x BO cross that looks like that! They may turn out really pretty. Walnut had EE/Salmon Faverolles that I thought were beautiful birds.

Good morning, I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me about the blue and black genetically. I plan to breed a few hatchery RIR to an Ameraucana cock to get green egg layers I hope. My question is if I want both blues and blacks do I need both color cocks or just one or the other. I have both a black and a blue. Thanks.

Good morning, I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me about the blue and black genetically. I plan to breed a few hatchery RIR to an Ameraucana cock to get green egg layers I hope. My question is if I want both blues and blacks do I need both color cocks or just one or the other. I have both a black and a blue. Thanks.

Goid morning. ...

If you are looking to produce "Olive Eggers", which will give you the green eggs, you'll need to cross Ameraucana hens with Black Copper Maran Roosters.........that would be the best way.

If you breed your black Ameraucana rooster to RIR hens, you will be producing Easter Eggers and those hens can lay anything from cream, brown, pink, possibly pale blue. You will more than likely produce all black chicks with red leakage as they mature.

Goid morning. ...

If you are looking to produce "Olive Eggers", which will give you the green eggs, you'll need to cross Ameraucana hens with Black Copper Maran Roosters.........that would be the best way.

If you breed your black Ameraucana rooster to RIR hens, you will be producing Easter Eggers and those hens can lay anything from cream, brown, pink, possibly pale blue. You will more than likely produce all black chicks with red leakage as they mature.
Olive Eggers lay a darker green egg, more like a green olive in the jar, hence the name.

You can produce green egg layers with your cross but you will not get black or blue birds at all, at least nothing that you could call black or blue. You may get muffs and beards as well, but the feet will tend to be yellow or willow or greenish gray.

What you will be producing is an Easter Egger mix. I've mixed many together in my backyard flock and ended up with a nice assortment of egg colors ranging from pale blue to mint green to olive and caramel brown.

Ok.....so what are they mixed with?
And what happens when you have a 'EE' with slate legs but doesn't fit the 'recognized' color scheme?

Hello. :D examples always helped me make sense of the difference, so here are a few examples showing what each one is:

pure Ameraucana + any other breed = easter egger
pure Araucana + any other breed = easter egger
easter egger + easter egger = easter egger

Yes, some easter eggers do look a LOT like Ameraucanas. I have four that are Ameraucana x splash Marans crosses and they would look JUST like pure Ameraucanas if not for the feathered legs. The second picture is a pullet that even has slate color legs! the light feathering on the legs is evidence that she is an EE. Once the two girls start laying their eggs will be a shade of green (olive probably). That is another clue that they are not true Ameraucanas. Anyway, here they. last picture is a boy. His comb is huge compared to a true Ameraucana, so that is another clue that he's mixed.

The Black has no Blue dilute gene. A Blue rooster will produce about 50% blue and 50% black offspring. Then you have to take into consideration, the RIR pattern genetics. They aren't usually solid red. They have a columbia pattern restrictor. Basically, it's a gene that restricts the 'pattern' from expressing in certain areas. Black and Blue Ameraucana have a solid black pattern gene, meaning their pattern is all over, allowing no base color to show through.
You may get a variety of patterns in the chicks.

My splash juvies seem to be low in the pecking order. I read an article about chickens recognizing color and noticing when someone is different. Has anyone else had any issues particularly with your splash colored chicks/chickens getting picked on?

No, I haven't really noticed my splashes being picked on, but they all grew up together

I have five free ranging males, two are splash. One is at the top and the other is number four in the pecking order. My only red pyle EE is the lowest ranking male.

In the hen house, one splash is lower ranked, but she is also the smallest in the coop and the only one with very heavy foot feathering. The others don't pick on her though. Another splash is low ranked, but she has a disability so I can't tell if she's low ranked for that reason or her color.

In the baby coop, my one and only splash is one of the higher ranked chicks and he isn't even 'normal' looking to the other chicks. He's a Polish.

Is it possible that they are picked on because of their age? Or maybe the other birds in the coop aren't used to seeing the spash color?

This website will help you see what you get when you cross different color birds. You will always want to use the ameraucana cock bird over other breeds to keep the blue egg gene as dominant as possible. You will also want to use a bird that lays a lighter brown egg if your goal is green.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.htm...oc:E^R/E^R&fgt=Sloc:s+/-,Iloc:i+/i+,Eloc:e+/e+

The Black has no Blue dilute gene. A Blue rooster will produce about 50% blue and 50% black offspring. Then you have to take into consideration, the RIR pattern genetics. They aren't usually solid red. They have a columbia pattern restrictor. Basically, it's a gene that restricts the 'pattern' from expressing in certain areas. Black and Blue Ameraucana have a solid black pattern gene, meaning their pattern is all over, allowing no base color to show through.
You may get a variety of patterns in the chicks.

My bad....for some reason I thought Daxigait wrote olive green. Time to do away with my dollar store magnifying glasses and get to the eye doctor lol

Back
Top Bottom