Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Well, out of the 10 Ameraucanas I raised this spring I think I have decided on these four for my flock. Any comments would be appreciated.

This shot gives a good look at the girls and the color variation in tails. The only other pullet I have is light and has no beard what-so-ever. Have also recently discovered she likes to "pluck" everybody's tail ends!

DSC02873.jpg

Pullet's faces

DSC02840.jpg

This is the cockerel I decided on. My other is a Wheaton and I have a second BW, but he is less "correct" than this one. His tail feathers have been "pruned" by the beardless pullet!

[
DSC02867.jpg

This is the cockerels face!

DSC02869-1.jpg

Quote:
i am new to ameraucanas, but imo your chickens are gorgeous
smile.png
(this doesnt mean anything however, as i have no clue what i am talking about!)

i would love to find some eggs from bantams like yours

Quote:
This is a cropped photo and he was happy to be "out" of the pen and was running around flapping his wings and strutting his stuff. For sure "Cock of the Walk"!

Ok I have a genetics question for someone
smile.png
Do the white Ameraucana's carry the silver gene? I have a bunch of beautiful white pullets but can't decide what I'm doing with them yet..I have a few ideas not sure which will be the best..not sure if I want to try again for another white breeding roo.
he.gif

Quote:
from what I understand about white is that you never really know what color it is masking....if you really want whites I, personally, would just buy a nice young roo
idunno.gif
after 2 years of trying to hatch eggs for various breeds/colors I have found it is cheaper in the end to just buy what you need....especially with all the luck we have hatching shipped eggs
roll.png
yes, it is a pain to quarantine but I just purchased my first birds this year in a color that no one sells hatching eggs for(not ameraucana) and I just HAD to have them. In the end it cost me less than 3 batches of eggs from a color/breed that I never got a single chick from..... does Jean have white? I would ask her for an "extra" cockeral
wink.png

Quote:
from what I understand about white is that you never really know what color it is masking....if you really want whites I, personally, would just buy a nice young roo
idunno.gif
after 2 years of trying to hatch eggs for various breeds/colors I have found it is cheaper in the end to just buy what you need....especially with all the luck we have hatching shipped eggs
roll.png
yes, it is a pain to quarantine but I just purchased my first birds this year in a color that no one sells hatching eggs for(not ameraucana) and I just HAD to have them. In the end it cost me less than 3 batches of eggs from a color/breed that I never got a single chick from..... does Jean have white? I would ask her for an "extra" cockeral
wink.png

Jean is currently selling started birds on one of the auction sites (not BYC ), so now might be a good time to talk to her if she is cutting down on numbers right now.

I don't think whites have the silver gene (I double checked with the Kip calculator...recessive whites carry gold). You can use blacks to create splits and go from there. I have whites from Jean and I plan to cross my roo with my blacks and then breed his daughters back to him. He is REALLY nice. No leakage in the saddle feathers just pure white!!! I'm breeding his daughters back to him since they would carry his characteristics (particularly what shows up in the saddle feathers). The split roos I will sell since there is no telling what colors they would be hiding.

Here's where she's listing her birds and eggs
http://www.bidbirdauctions.com/listings/categories/index.cfm?category=961033182&from=&itemnum=0

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom