Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Takes me 15 minutes to catch up on this thread.... I suppose my 7 month old BW roo that is bigger than Geoffrey may get too big in the next 7 months... but what amazes me is how much better looking he has gotten in the past month. I just wish he would show a little interest in the girls. If I sit out and watch them in the run, Geoffrey is a total gentleman but he gets around and gets the job done.

Can't wait to see what his chicks look like this time around with the new blood in the coop.

Looking for some info:

My Blue Ameraucanas are 13 weeks, and two of them have slightly longer tail feathers than the other. These two have always been larger, since hatching, than the one with the shorter, stubbier looking tail. No crowing yet, but one of them is spreading its wings and hopping in front of my BLRW bantam who I know for sure is a roo. Should I assume these two birds are male? I've heard it's notoriously difficult to tell gender on this breed before they lay. Thanks for your input!

Both pullets and cockerels will hop in front of another chicken to do a little "face-off" with them.
smile.png

Quote:
Those are SO pretty!
droolin.gif
I can hardly wait to get mine. I'm planning on ordering some day old chicks, but I'm not sure who I'm going to order from or when. I have several options. I know the lav's are not accepted by the APA yet, but I do believe they will be soon.

I was in 4-H as a kid, and I had my kids involved in showing chickens when they were younger, and helped get others started. I'm hoping I can get some really good quality birds that will be worthy of showing, at least on a limited basis, and be able to continue breeding toward the standard.

OH! My incubator arrived today.
ya.gif
I've been saving some marans eggs that I'm going to try to hatch. I'm not sure how this first batch will turn out, and I'm wondering if I'm not crazy for hatching some this time of year (it gets COLD here!) I'm still working on improving and expanding my coop, so I hope I'm not getting the egg before the chicken....I mean the chicken before the egg.... Which way does that go, anyway?
smile.png

In the Breed section of BYC, Pips & Peeps said "The different varieties have varying personalities and temperaments." I've read something about this before but can't find it. Can someone explain to me the different temperaments/personalities among the different colors of Ameraucanas? Also do the different varieties (generally) differ in laying ability, size, and substance?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, as Holly puts it- the silvers are like leghorns on steroids
lau.gif

From my experience, the wheatens are middle-of-the-road personality, and the lavenders have the most cochin-like: sweet and easy going.
BBS I have heard have the best egg color.

Back
Top Bottom