Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Good Morning all,
I am new to this board but have been lurking and enoying all the pictures. I am hatching my first batch of Ameraucanas, my daughter and I are starting a flock for her 4-H project. I bought eggs from two different breeders on ebay and have them in the incubator, I am on day 21. Breeder #1 the eggs are B/B/S and 4 out of the 5 that made it to lockdown are hatching (3 full arrivals and one zipping). I have 6 eggs fron breeder #2 from an all black flock I know I saw movement in most of them, and they aren't pipping at all. I tried a float test a little while ago and nothing. Are there any known genetic abnormalities which would account for all of them from one breeder to quit at the end? I would think it was incubator issues if not for the fact that the others did so well.

Here is baby number one, I haven't taken pics of 2 (also black) and 3 (a blue) yet they haven't had time to fluff yet.
75878_noisey.jpg

Thanks everyone

Livin-Green, my BBS Ameraucanas just started laying in Feb at 8 months old. It's pretty typical for them to take FOREVER to start laying.

Quote:
Right- I have had some take 9 months, and others that I got that appeared full grown took another 4 months to lay. Still waiting on a black that must be 10 months by now.
roll.png

Tailfeathers- I totally agree with you, that's why I am setting them, even the white ones. It was just the shock of seeing them- it was dissappointing. My ivory egg layer lays almost every day- I'd love to have that production in the other girls!

Just2rosey- were the eggs shipped from different places? There were some preety cold temps a few weeks ago around the country that might have played a part. Or shipping trauma. I wouldn't give up on them at day 21 though- just make sure you keep the humidity up or they could be shrink wrapped and not able to pip.

Mahonri does.
smile.png

As for BBS Ameraucanas, I can usually tell as soon as they're fully feathered. There's the comb to look for, but there's also the blue males who begin to grow darker blue in the shoulders and neck, the black males who get a lot more iridescent than the females, and the splashes get much darker "splash" markings in the shoulders, neck, saddle than the females.

LOVE that splash hen!! THOSE are good muffs and beard.
wink.png

I got my 2 black hens from Wayne Meredith today!!!
wee.gif
They're gorgeous! AND one of them laid TWO eggs on the trip here! (They were in a divider box so I know they came from the same hen).
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom