Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hello everyone..I have an elderly friend who would like to by a pair of Ameraucanas. He wants blue eggs..not green..etc. So I wanted to make sure they are true Ameraucana and not EEs. I know there are still some out there who do not understand the difference. I live in East TN and would need to find someone close to me. I had ask him chicks would do but he wants adults. This is a hobby for him to keep busy. So..I love 35 miles NE from Knoxville..anyone here near Knoxville, TN?
Thanks!!
frow.gif

I have seen loads of ee's lay really blue. Its a hit and miss. All I know its its really hard to get pure ameraucanas. I spent two years to get exactly what I wanted. Boy oh boy. Its hard because everything things their ee's are such. Good luck finding some seems most people who have them love them so much they wont part with them.
tongue.png

Quote:
Exactly the same way Blue, Black and Splash work. Have you seen the BBS Cochins or Orps? You breed blue to blue and you get some blue, black, and splash chicks? Blue wheaten to Blue wheaten will give you Blue, Black( just called wheaten), and splash wheaten.

Quote:
Hah! Thanks so much for the explanations, especially klf73 because I just KNEW this cross had to be EE's cause they didn't seem to breed true at all. Okay by me cause I love EE's, am not in any way a breeder and got these chicks from a friend. I just like to know what I have and I suspected the person my friend got bird's from was confused on the blue/blue wheaten/wheaten issue himself. I think a sticky would be a great idea for those of us with quick basic questions. Again, thanks to you both! Sorry to muddle up the thread!

Quote:
ARGH! I was glad to read this as one of my Blehm 9 week-old chicks is stumping me. The other LAV is really clearly a boy for the past 3 weeks. This one? Bottom half of comb looks girlie, but the top half now looks red and too many bumps! Do I have a slow-bloomer dude?

BOY
65263_9_weeks_lav_boy_a.jpg

Slow-bloomer??
65263_5-23-11_1.jpg

65263_9_weeks_lav_female_3.jpg

The lavenders are so hard- well, being sure who the girls are anyway can be. That's one more reason I like the wheatens!

Point is- your going to need to keep 2 roosters either way. All the birds will get along fine for several months. If a couple extra chickens on the feed bill is not going to break you- grow them out! Don't you want to pick the best ones for a breeding program anyway?

If you only have 2 or 3 chicks to start with and you want to breed them- get more! And from a different line that will compliment. And do it now. I regret not doing this my first year- it put me so far behind.

This applies to all colors, and nobody in particular.

The birds (or eggs) you need ARE out there. They are not going to be free, but this is by no means the most epensive breed to get into.
wink.png

Quote:
my guess
1-cockeral
2-cockeral
3-cockeral
4-pullet
5-pullet
6-cockeral
7-pullet

I'm hoping one of the Blues turns out to be a pullet but I'm betting you know a LOT more about this than I do at this point. I suspected the Splash might be cockerel but the Blues were truly stumping me - especially since Leo's comb is so pronounced and pink in comparison to the others.

Thanks!

HI! I got 5 blue Ameraucana chicks Mon. that are a few days old from a new local chick dealer to supply my chick habit. Here are some pics. They are in with some BA's who are a little older(week).

79733_100_1973.jpg

79733_100_2009.jpg

79733_100_2008.jpg

79733_100_1971.jpg

79733_100_1990.jpg

Back
Top Bottom