Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I figured as much, though I think all Ameraucana owners have ended up with an EE once or twice :) It doesn't bother me that much now, she still thinks she has the pedigree of a queen!

I have a lavender split who has no beard/muff and I keep accidentally thinking she is my Black Isbar when I see her out of the corner of my eye, LOL! Yours looks more like an Ameraucana than she does, LOL! Though she does have the black legs she is supposed to I suppose :D

I have had many differing opinions about this pullet, so it's time to put this controversy to rest :). This is Rosie, my so called Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. I have been looking for a true Wheaten Ameraucana for a pretty long time when I found her. I knew nothing about Ameraucanas other than they had muffs and they layed pretty blue eggs, so I wanted one of course! I've since done research and found that her legs are not the color a pure bred Ameraucana is supposed to be. I've pretty much ruled out all possibility of her being pure, what is your opinion? I'm keeping her either way, she is so sweet. Her legs are more gray green than the picture shows.

She's an Easter Egger, a very lovely one, but not a pure Ameraucana.

Blue Wheaten.

& Splash Wheatens should look more like this, though this girl is a bit gingery.

Last edited:
Anyone have pics of a splash roo chick?
Thought I had 2 almost 9 week old girls, a blue wheatan pullet (definitely pullet) and a wheatan pullet (big doubts just recently lol.) I thought I had definitely ruled out roo's by colors. But did not factor in a Splash rooster possibility. Der. Splash coloring hides longer maybe?

I have a 8/9 week old chick I swear I thought was a wheatan pullet! 'her' coloring and stance and comb (weeks 1-7 screamed pullet like her sister blue wheatan)
But week 8 & 9 now 'her' comb is really making me iffy. Too much red at times for a girl this age. The red comes and goes but 'her' feathering, while light like her sisters-but with black in the wingtips and tail tips- isn't as uniform. I'd think it would be...uh. if its a roo that's 3/4 lol.

Anyone have pics of a splash roo chick?
Thought I had 2 almost 9 week old girls, a blue wheatan pullet (definitely pullet) and a wheatan pullet (big doubts just recently lol.) I thought I had definitely ruled out roo's by colors. But did not factor in a Splash rooster possibility. Der. Splash coloring hides longer maybe?

I have a 8/9 week old chick I swear I thought was a wheatan pullet! 'her' coloring and stance and comb (weeks 1-7 screamed pullet like her sister blue wheatan)
But week 8 & 9 now 'her' comb is really making me iffy. Too much red at times for a girl this age. The red comes and goes but 'her' feathering, while light like her sisters-but with black in the wingtips and tail tips- isn't as uniform. I'd think it would be...uh. if its a roo that's 3/4 lol.

This is a picture of a splash roo and pullet that are about 11 weeks old. The roo is in the back. I have found that my splash roos seem to be darker than the pullets.

Roo on right ~ pullet on left

Thanks so much! They are beautiful. Hard to find good examples. 'she' looks way different, much more wheatan, so no luck having a splash here lol hmmm so now I lean towards a slower developing roo or a awkward pullet stage, fingers crossed for the later lol.
This is a picture of a splash roo and pullet that are about 11 weeks old. The roo is in the back. I have found that my splash roos seem to be darker than the pullets. Roo on right ~ pullet on left
The lower left is the iffy. The upper right is the blue wheatan pullet.
The comb change in question So one outta every four chicks I have attempted are roo's lol bad odds or the norm?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom