Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Even the chickens you exhibit? I live in south central Texas, and we have had something like 3 weeks of heat at record or near record temps. Most days have been well over 100. When we have a day of 99, I think we are having a cool spell. The chickens tend to stay under the trees, but in the cooler fall weather, I expect they'll enjoy the sunshine. Any suggestions for getting young chickens in show condition that free range? Thanks for any help/advice.
I really don't have a problem with them not being in condition. I keep an eye out for mites and I don't feed corn. I don't have white birds, so that's not an issue, but my blues look beautiful and They don't have feather breakage or anything like that. I give them baths and oil combs and legs before shows. I generally have to use a tooth brush to get the dirt out from under their toenails, but other than that, I think they're healthier and more vibrant than my caged birds. I don't have a problem with them being freaked out when I show them, probably because I coop them up at night and they're used to being checked for mites and handled all of the time, so they're not completely feral. I was thinking of using a sunblock on my blacks so that their beards don't get too brown from the sun. I know there are sunblocks that come in spray form made for hair. I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

Last edited:
There are actually a lot of spray on SPF products for hair (which I am assuming would work on feathers as well since feathers and hair are made of the same thing) But Ask.com had a do-it-yourself sunblock for hair recipe:

Crafty? Make Your Own SPF!
Making UV protection for your hair is pretty easy too! Simply dilute 2 teaspoons of SPF 25 sun block down with one cup of water. Using a spray bottle, spray the product into your damp hair before styling. For additional protection, you can mist the solution on throughout the day.

I really don't have a problem with them not being in condition. I keep an eye out for mites and I don't feed corn.
I feed a prepared feed which I am about to switch to a layer formula. The list of ingredients start with, " Grain products" so I am sure there is corn in it. Isn't corn in most feeds? Suggestions?

I will be showing blues, wheaten, lavender and maybe a blue wheaten.

Thanks.

I just went on a rampage and emailed most of the people on the Ameraucana breeders list asking them if they had any blue or black pullets to sell me
lol.png
I have a problem help me I also just sent my membership for said club
tongue.png
hello go to www.eastcountyzoo.com I get mine from their. The phone number is 619-201-5257 text him and he will respond. His name is Aaron tell him I sent you.

Does anyone know of any good breeders of Blue/Wheaten Ameraucanas that will ship chicks and/or eggs? I've looked on the breeders directory on the Ameraucana website but no one has returned my email.

Does anyone know of any good breeders of Blue/Wheaten Ameraucanas that will ship chicks and/or eggs? I've looked on the breeders directory on the Ameraucana website but no one has returned my email.

It's a busy time of the year, folks are culling flocks and getting ready for shows. Not everyone is really prompt on emails, you could try calling or be patient and wait for an email reply.

This is a tough time of the year to get eggs because most people no longer have their breeding pens set up. Its the same with chicks too. You might want to look for started birds in the fall, or wait until spring. There might be somebody out there with some eggs, did you check the buy-sell-trade thread?

Don't forget to watch Larry the Cable Guy...."Only in America" tonight. He is going to visit Cackle's Hatchery. Should be fun.
I was disappointed with the hatchery segment.I was hoping to learn.The dirty jobs With Mike R was more helpful when he went to McMurry.I have been practicing and found for me it is helpful to breed from birds that I sexed correctly.Some lines are easier for me.I guess I am actually selecting for genitalia that I can identify.So maybe in time I will get better or at least have some lines that I am fairly accurate with.

Back
Top Bottom