Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote: My hens like to pick at his beard and muffs as well, some of my hens don't like him at all and fight with him, grabing his beard and as such his beard/muff feathers get pulled off
hmm.png

Is there something that i can give him that will help his feathers grow feathers back?

I was starting to believe the 4 older Blue Wheaten hens I had acquired a few months ago were never going to start laying... little to my knowledge they had been laying for the last 2 weeks in the rafters of my coop! While cleaning out my coop I found 7 frozen eggs in a nest. Merry Christmas to me!

While I'm here, I'd like to ask an opinion of one of the hens. Critique is welcome. She is above the SOP weight. Thanks!

I was starting to believe the 4 older Blue Wheaten hens I had acquired a few months ago were never going to start laying... little to my knowledge they had been laying for the last 2 weeks in the rafters of my coop! While cleaning out my coop I found 7 frozen eggs in a nest. Merry Christmas to me!

While I'm here, I'd like to ask an opinion of one of the hens. Critique is welcome. She is above the SOP weight. Thanks!
tall order to critique a bird with one picture..Just so you understand..unless someone touches your bird, i can only guess.It is not fair to do it with one picture, but i will give it a shot. This is my opinion and has little value with out touching.

pretty beard and muffs
Nice neck feathering (full)
some soft curves
I do not see a front
I see too many loose feathers
I see a cushion
I see a dip before the tail
I do not see if the tail is pinched or proper..the angle is Ok
I do not see proper color legs (The males legs are fine)
wrong eye color
The wing looks ok

I do not know if it is the camera, the angle, or the flash..it is just what I see or don't see
Your bird could be correct and a top bird, but this one single picture can't show it.

tall order to critique a bird with one picture..Just so you understand..unless someone touches your bird, i can only guess.It is not fair to do it with one picture, but i will give it a shot. This is my opinion and has little value with out touching.

pretty beard and muffs
Nice neck feathering (full)
some soft curves
I do not see a front
I see too many loose feathers
I see a cushion
I see a dip before the tail
I do not see if the tail is pinched or proper..the angle is Ok
I do not see proper color legs (The males legs are fine)
wrong eye color
The wing looks ok

I do not know if it is the camera, the angle, or the flash..it is just what I see or don't see
Your bird could be correct and a top bird, but this one single picture can't show it.

Thank you :) This was when they had just started to molt, I should have mentioned that. I'll take some more pictures of her tomorrow and post them. She's my favorite out of the 4 because the other hens tails angles are crazy high.

Thanks for sharing what you could!

I have a question about eggs. Two of my three Ameraucanas are laying (unless the third is hiding her eggs the way Angelicisi's bird did). The egg yokes seem almost brown (or maybe a dark mustard color) they are so dark. They free range over almost two acres. The eggs from the Silkies, Polish, Cochin and Plymouth Rock have a more standard egg yoke color. The color I am seeing isn't because of the blue egg shell next to the yoke--it is still a very (not very nice looking) dark color when I have them cracked in a bowl with the other chickens' eggs. The chickens that are not Ameraucanas are in my back yard and forage over a much smaller area. The Ameraucanas seem to eat very little of the commercial feed, relying more on finding their own food than the other little chickens.

Thoughts?

One other egg question: One of my chickens (maybe more than one?) has been laying an egg with a lot of blood in it. Yesterday, I cracked an egg open and found a lot of blood and a fairly hard piece of tissue in it. I can't believe it was an embryo, since it didn't have any sort of circulatory system over the yoke, but since I've never seen a developing chick in an egg, I really don't have a clue to what they look like. I believe the bloody eggs come from one chicken who, thankfully, lays a very uniquely shaped egg, so I'll be checking every egg of that chicken. Does anyone have any thoughts about that sort of problem?

I tried to delete the post when I saw it was not going to be a specific reply to the person I intended it to go to.....but it was originally meant for the city girl in the country in Tennessee. But if anyone within 200 miles or so of central Ky has any or will have any pb Ameraucana pullets or hens for sale please contact me! I will be raising them for eggs in the yard then keeping them through their life span . They will be spoiled babies!
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom