Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone can explain the difference between Araucana's and Ameraucana's please. I just bought two Araucana pullets from Family Farm, and Home today. I'm looking forward to watching them grow :)
Every time I try to search for pictures/info about Araucana's, I get Ameraucana's also. I was curious to see what they will look like when they are feathered out.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Araucanas are rumpless (no tail). They don't have beards or a muff that the Ameraucanas have, but have ear tufts. Like the Ameraucana, they have a pea comb and lay blue eggs.

This is my roo Red.

I am not going to argue with anyone..I live in Wisconsin. On winter that are long and deep freeze we sometimes are fortunate to have less bugs..including skeeders.

This is just my opinion and I am not a scientist but most information can bee found on the web.

Insects must rely on external sources to provide their heat. Thus, insects sticking around in the winter, must tolerate freezing or rely on other mechanisms to avoid freezing. Like sleeping..Loss of enzymatic function and eventual freezing due to low temperatures daily threatens the livelihood of these organisms during winter. Not surprisingly, insects have evolved a number of strategies to deal with the rigors of winter temperatures in places where they would otherwise not survive. Longer than normal winters and colder temperatures not only kill plant life that survive most winters, but insects and bugs too. I appreciate every ones idea and opinion that skeeders are not effected by an extra hard winter freeze..but i am going to hope you are wrong..lol

I am not going to argue with anyone..I live in Wisconsin. On winter that are long and deep freeze we sometimes are fortunate to have less bugs..including skeeders.

This is just my opinion and I am not a scientist but most information can bee found on the web.

Insects must rely on external sources to provide their heat. Thus, insects sticking around in the winter, must tolerate freezing or rely on other mechanisms to avoid freezing. Like sleeping..Loss of enzymatic function and eventual freezing due to low temperatures daily threatens the livelihood of these organisms during winter. Not surprisingly, insects have evolved a number of strategies to deal with the rigors of winter temperatures in places where they would otherwise not survive. Longer than normal winters and colder temperatures not only kill plant life that survive most winters, but insects and bugs too. I appreciate every ones idea and opinion that skeeders are not effected by an extra hard winter freeze..but i am going to hope you are wrong..lol

I know a cold winter keeps scorpions down. I'm hoping that between the chickens free ranging around the house and the hard winter, I don't see any scorpions in the house next summer.

Me Too!!!!!
smack.gif

Here in N Florida we get down to low 20's one day up to 70's the next.
We have bugs year round.
some winters have lowered the amount we get, when it got down to minus's
We have had snow 2 times in almost 30 years

Back
Top Bottom