Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My question seems lost in all the threads - what do you think?
If you bought day old chicks then a good colored recessive white and lavender are very similar in down color. It is easy sometimes to mix them up plus lavenders come in different shade. I have already had lavender chicks hatch pure white in Orpingtons.

If you bought day old chicks then a good colored recessive white and lavender are very similar in down color. It is easy sometimes to mix them up plus lavenders come in different shade. I have already had lavender chicks hatch pure white in Orpingtons.
That must have been a surprise!

Can you give me an opinion on the 'roo pic I posted yesteday?

Thanks!

For some reason only one picture popped up
Wheaten pullet, soft color, wing and tail edging dark, tail set, low posture

Looks Blue Wheaten to me, darker over all coloring, tail set, and hackle color

Im new to chickens. Wondering if anyone here can tell me if these are true Ameracaunas and how can you tell if you have roos?
[/URL]
Is this the same bird as above? This one looks Wheaten cockerel to me. Darker (black) feathers coming in

Thinking Blue Wheaten pullet, soft color and soft blue edging.

At this age they look true, correct leg color, correct overall color for their age. Can't see any of their combs. Pea comb on boys should be pinking up and have three rows of "Peas", girls will be pale and have one row of peas.

Where you got them ie did you buy from a breeder? or a hatchery or a feed/farm store?

Time will give you a better idea if they are correct or not! Right now they look to be Ameraucana to me in the color category of Wheaten/Blue Wheaten

More shots of combs? They must have beard and muff also.
Hope this helps?

Last edited:
Happy 4th everyone! Posting a couple of pics to see what you experts think for gender of this 13 week old. Pullet or slow growing cockerel?

Here is the blue that I think is for sure a cockerel - same hatch/same breeder:

Thanks everyone! I can not have roosters where I live so I am trying to figure out if I need to re-home one or both
sad.png

Last edited:
New to the breed but am enthralled with them. Breeders tell me to wait until 2 months but I could see redness in combs on cockerals starting at 5 weeks. My guess is you have one of each and both are gorgeous!

These Ameraucana chicks are about 8 weeks old in these photos taken Jun 17th. I think there are 2 males and 2 females. One of the chicks (wheaten), the one on the rock, is a special needs chick. He had to be dropper fed when very young, and he seems confused most of the time. He has the darkest comb (although it is not obvious in this photo), but is very small. The largest is the dark grey one. Would someone care to offer an opinion on the sex of these four?
Thank you.

Happy 4th everyone! Posting a couple of pics to see what you experts think for gender of this 13 week old. Pullet or slow growing cockerel? Pullet

Here is the blue that I think is for sure a cockerel - same hatch/same breeder: Age and more pics please, not sure. If it is older, "she" could be coming into POL, if younger looks like a cockerel with faux hen feathers. At least that is what I call it. I have noticed this happens time to time.

Thanks everyone! I can not have roosters where I live so I am trying to figure out if I need to re-home one or both
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom