Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Then why not make that available to everyone, Mike, instead of just a chosen few?

A lot of it is personal, and might reflect poorly on the memory of some of the people involved. The highlights are included in what was written, and is available (to anyone as far as I know) in our handbook for a very modest cost.

A lot of it is personal, and might reflect poorly on the memory of some of the people involved. The highlights are included in what was written, and is available (to anyone as far as I know) in our handbook for a very modest cost.
Right Mike. Every club member gets one with their first year's dues and they may purchase additional Ameraucana Handbooks for just $3 each. They are $5 to non-members.
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/ClubMerchandise.html

I'll just say, whatever the serious of events, I'm thankful for the folks that stuck with it and got the Ameraucana breed standardized and accepted. They are such a lovely breed.

As a hobbyist who finally has true Ameraucanas after having various types of Easter Eggers for the last 19 years, I find it discouraging that there are two factions fighting over the breed. Before a breed is accepted into the APA I understand that there will be a great deal of debate on which colors and features are to make up the standard. But once accepted as a standard, it seems that the goal should be to improve the birds to bring them closer to the standard, and move to introduce new color varieties that otherwise meet the standard.

I don't intend to show, nor to develop new colors or even improve the breed beyond culling obvious culls. I keep them for my own enjoyment and for colorful eggs in my egg basket. But I do keep over 200 chickens so if I choose to dedicate more time to breeding upon retirement, I don't want to have to fight with factions over whose birds are right and who is telling the right story.

While the history is long and involved, why not focus on moving the breed forward rather than engaging in the breed organization wars? What is to be accomplished by being divisive?

As a hobbyist who finally has true Ameraucanas after having various types of Easter Eggers for the last 19 years, I find it discouraging that there are two factions fighting over the breed.  Before a breed is accepted into the APA I understand that there will be a great deal of debate on which colors and features are to make up the standard.  But once accepted as a standard, it seems that the goal should be to improve the birds to bring them closer to the standard, and move to introduce new color varieties that otherwise meet the standard.  

I don't intend to show, nor to develop new colors or even improve the breed beyond culling obvious culls.  I keep them for my own enjoyment and for colorful eggs in my egg basket.  But I do keep over 200 chickens so if I choose to dedicate more time to breeding upon retirement, I don't want to have to fight with factions over whose birds are right and who is telling the right story.

While the history is long and involved, why not focus on moving the breed forward rather than engaging in the breed organization wars?  What is to be accomplished by being divisive?

EGGactly!!

Hello :)
Can you all please tell me which two out of my three blue Ameraucana pullets are LEAST 'to standard'. Thank you.
They do all have beard and muffs, but not very full. As a matter of fact, some of my easter eggers have beards and muffs that are more full than these three. All have tight pea comb and white on ear lobes.

Kay - black comb

Wormy - black patches on comb

Jay - head and neck are darker than body

Last edited:
Hello :)
Can you all please tell me which two out of my three blue Ameraucana pullets are LEAST 'to standard'. Thank you.
They do all have beard and muffs, but not very full. As a matter of fact, some of my easter eggers have beards and muffs that are more full than these three. All have tight pea comb and white on ear lobes.

Kay - black comb

Wormy - black patches on comb

Jay - head and neck are darker than body
The third one looks to have the best beard and muff. Without being there, I couldn't tell you if the other two in fact have full beards and muff. They have some dark eyes too.

What plans did you have for them?

I don't plan on showing them, but I would like to breed some pure Ameraucanas for people who are interested in getting blue layers. Recently I got a very nice wheaten from a breeder and I was wondering if my girls were good enough to breed with him and actually call their offspring Ameraucanas. I don't want to be 'one of those seller' that doesn't care about standards.

@pips&peeps - are dark eyes bad?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom