Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

There are so many things to breed for/cull for I would try to get better stock... Unless they are really stellar in all other ways.

Yellow skin is dominant... (I was told, haven't checked) so that should be easy to breed out .... If your legs look green because they have yellow underneath the slate.

If the legs are truly green.... Dunno, have to look up the genetics on that.

My worry is that green legs = LOTS of other undesirable things hiding in there.

I had a breeding quad where two of the hens had PERFECTLY clear/clean feathers and one had only a tiny bit of dark ticking on her hackels.... And sheesh! You should have seen how many girls I hatched that were covered in sooty stippling!

My point... Wheaten is a difficult enough color to breed for.... I wouldn't want to make it even harder by starting with stock that had clear cull factors.

Yellow skin is recessive, not dominant. That means it can hide for a couple generations. Pictures would help to determine if they are truly yellow skinned or young birds getting their pigment in.

There are so many things to breed for/cull for I would try to get better stock... Unless they are really stellar in all other ways.

Yellow skin is dominant... (I was told, haven't checked) so that should be easy to breed out .... If your legs look green because they have yellow underneath the slate.

If the legs are truly green.... Dunno, have to look up the genetics on that.

My worry is that green legs = LOTS of other undesirable things hiding in there.

I had a breeding quad where two of the hens had PERFECTLY clear/clean feathers and one had only a tiny bit of dark ticking on her hackels.... And sheesh! You should have seen how many girls I hatched that were covered in sooty stippling!

My point... Wheaten is a difficult enough color to breed for.... I wouldn't want to make it even harder by starting with stock that had clear cull factors.

Yellow skin is recessive to white skin - which is why you can breed a yellow-legged bird to an Ameraucana and the first generation will still show slate legs though they could be carrying the yellow skin allele from one parent. If those chicks are bred to another that is heterozygous for the white/yellow skin, then some of those chicks will be homozygous for yellow skin and will show the green, or willow, shanks.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom