Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Sorry phone only allows one photo at a time . The first is the skin color of rooster. Let me know what you think

Yellow skin is recessive, not dominant.

Yellow skin is recessive to white skin 

Thanks both of you! I wasn't sure, I have never looked it up since I haven't ever had that problem.

By the way, @pips&peeps I love the chicks that I got from you. (Technically, I just got eggs from you...whatever :D )

One of the female Black standards though is going through one of those franken-molts... :eek: (I did check her for lice/mites and signs of picking...all good).

I was wondering.. If I had a bigger pool from which to choose from/cull.... I think I would cull the franken-molt girl, just because I think it 1.looks so impressively ugly/diseased and 2. Can that actually be healthy?

But maybe people like the birds that molt like that, since the molt must be finished faster?

I prefer the ones that molt so that you can't tell except for the number of feathers on the ground, and the reduction in egg production.

Do any of you cull out the heavy/almost all at once molters? Or do you all not care?

Thanks both of you! I wasn't sure, I have never looked it up since I haven't ever had that problem.

By the way, pips&peeps I love the chicks that I got from you. (Technically, I just got eggs from you...whatever
big_smile.png
)

One of the female Black standards though is going through one of those franken-molts...
ep.gif
(I did check her for lice/mites and signs of picking...all good).

I was wondering.. If I had a bigger pool from which to choose from/cull.... I think I would cull the franken-molt girl, just because I think it 1.looks so impressively ugly/diseased and 2. Can that actually be healthy?

But maybe people like the birds that molt like that, since the molt must be finished faster?

I prefer the ones that molt so that you can't tell except for the number of feathers on the ground, and the reduction in egg production.

Do any of you cull out the heavy/almost all at once molters? Or do you all not care?
Those all-at-once molters are done much, much faster, and they get back to laying faster. Those really slow molters stop laying and don't start back up until at least March. I find that unbearable. I'd rather the bird that is ugly for a week or two.

Good point... I just hate ugly. :sick

The first week she looked like she had mange.... Now she looks like a hedgehog. :lau

And I keep forgetting that she is my Am since she doesn't yet have her face fluff back. I look, I double take, do a "what is wrong with that black leghorn!" Then remember she is an Am. :D

None of my slow molters wait that long to start laying again. They take a month or two off...I don't think more than that. They are Leghorns, Spitz, and Dominiques.

However this is actually my first year and molt with the black Ams.

This is my second or third year with Wheaten bantam Ams. My bantams do not get supplimental light (my standard sized chickens do), so the bantams stop laying from about October until February or March.

By the way, pips&peeps I love the chicks that I got from you. (Technically, I just got eggs from you...whatever
big_smile.png
)

One of the female Black standards though is going through one of those franken-molts...
ep.gif
(I did check her for lice/mites and signs of picking...all good).

I prefer the "fast in - fast out" molters! Yes, they look ugly for a short while, but they're back to normal much quicker and much easier to plan for showing. count your blessings! :)

There are so many things to breed for/cull for I would try to get better stock... Unless they are really stellar in all other ways.

Yellow skin is dominant... (I was told, haven't checked) so that should be easy to breed out .... If your legs look green because they have yellow underneath the slate.

If the legs are truly green.... Dunno, have to look up the genetics on that.

My worry is that green legs = LOTS of other undesirable things hiding in there.

I had a breeding quad where two of the hens had PERFECTLY clear/clean feathers and one had only a tiny bit of dark ticking on her hackels.... And sheesh! You should have seen how many girls I hatched that were covered in sooty stippling!

My point... Wheaten is a difficult enough color to breed for.... I wouldn't want to make it even harder by starting with stock that had clear cull factors.

My mistake, Alaskan... I am sorry... some days I forget my dominant from my recessive... just like I forget my right from my left once in a while... :oops:

That's why I was worried about your blue... he may have white skin, but is carrying yellow... breeding out recessive traits is a PITA... you could test mate him over some of your leghorns though to see... if you get any with yellow legs, then he is carrying it...

By the way, @pips&peeps I love the chicks that I got from you. (Technically, I just got eggs from you...whatever :D )

One of the female Black standards though is going through one of those franken-molts... :eek: (I did check her for lice/mites and signs of picking...all good).

I have both types... some mass molt and drop at once, some are gradual... pros and cons with both, but to me they even out really... I just feel bad for the hedgehog ones, lol...

Back
Top Bottom