Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Raccoons are notorious for killing just for the thrill of the chase and to eliminate other animals from infringing on their feeding territory - and - in the coon's pea-brain - eliminating and killing chickens off is part of the 'coon's thinking process to save more foraging territory for themselves. The more animals they kill/maim the more food territory the raccoons think they are saving for themselves. Nasty little rascals! 'Coons love to eat bird eggs -- stupid critters don't understand that in killing chickens they kill off their egg food supply too!!! In Japan the American raccoons were imported as pets when Japan had a popular raccoon cartoon show. Once Japanese owners couldn't handle their grown adult pet raccoons any more they turned them loose. Over the last few decades the Japanese' wild raccoon population has reached epidemic proportions. They've invaded and destroyed Japan's landmarks, temples, and homes. Japan has a national edict to eradicate/kill-off the invasive non-indigenous pest. The raccoons are not so cute to the Japanese any more.

Sounds like what's been happening in Florida with the invasive 'pet' snakes that got too big for peoples' homes before being dumped in the everglades.

Hi everyone, not enough coops and too many cockerels. I let them grow out as long as I could and now I need to make a decision . I am favoring the darker Blue - he has a better pea comb and like his overall shape more. However the lighter blue color of the second guy is my preference. His comb is a bit wonky and he has some lighter feathers in his tail. Not sure if the feather have just not finished coming in all the way on the darker one but the lighter seems to have fuller density. Opinions for breeding? I'd like to show a little. I can take more photos if needed.

Last edited:
Gosh!
1f62d.png
Talk about major disappointment. Two of my three roos that were looking gorgeous, have popped up with leakage on their hackles. One is black and the other is blue. I have one blue roo left to see if he has it too. The have gold coloring coming out overnight!

Gosh!
1f62d.png
Talk about major disappointment. Two of my three roos that were looking gorgeous, have popped up with leakage on their hackles. One is black and the other is blue. I have one blue roo left to see if he has it too. The have gold coloring coming out overnight!

Oh, no, total bummer for sure. I hope your last on doesn't have it.

I know. These guys were from a reputable breeder and member of Ameraucana Alliance and Ameraucana Breeder Club. I know genetics issues are always suspect to pop up at anytime but I thought they were looking great a week ago.

How long do Splashes and Blues take to mature? I have a 7 month old Splash Roo that doesn't crow yet and I don't think he is mating with the girls either. I think he has Rickets which i am treating him for. My Blue Pullet is also 7 months and has yet to lay an egg. she is not even very red in the face and her hips are not wide either.

Do i have duds? I know that for breeding quality they are not good candidates due to their gold leakage. Very sad about that. I am hoping to get a better roo and pullet later on down the line to get better quality chicks for my kids to show next year.

Hi everyone, not enough coops and too many cockerels. I let them grow out as long as I could and now I need to make a decision . I am favoring the darker Blue - he has a better pea comb and like his overall shape more. However the lighter blue color of the second guy is my preference. His comb is a bit wonky and he has some lighter feathers in his tail. Not sure if the feather have just not finished coming in all the way on the darker one but the lighter seems to have fuller density. Opinions for breeding? I'd like to show a little. I can take more photos if needed.

Oh they're pretty! I don't know a lot about the SOP but I think the top one would be a better choice. I would pick him anyway. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you more.

How long do Splashes and Blues take to mature? I have a 7 month old Splash Roo that doesn't crow yet and I don't think he is mating with the girls either. I think he has Rickets which i am treating him for. My Blue Pullet is also 7 months and has yet to lay an egg. she is not even very red in the face and her hips are not wide either.

Do i have duds? I know that for breeding quality they are not good candidates due to their gold leakage. Very sad about that. I am hoping to get a better roo and pullet later on down the line to get better quality chicks for my kids to show next year.
What are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom