Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Sure. Here are some day-old large fowl black Ameraucana chicks. http://fowlstuff.com/PhotosChicks.html
Was wondering if these could be pure
The first three pics should be of one and the second is the last 3

I was recently asked if the Black Ameraucanas I got from you are silver based or gold based. I didn't even know blacks could be silver or gold based. Could you expound on that please?
All chickens are either gold or silver base color. Just because other genes prevent it from being visible, doesn't mean it isn't there. Black isn't really a color. It's black pigment covering the base color. Extended black, the most dominant, covers the whole bird with black pigment. Replace extended black with the birchen gene, and suddenly, you have either Birchen or Brown Red.
Since there is no Birchen in Ameraucana, but there is Brown Red, I assume that the vast majority of Ameraucana are gold base color. The red leakage issues that tend to plague BBS lines seems to be further confirmation of that assumption.

I was recently asked if the Black Ameraucanas I got from you are silver based or gold based. I didn't even know blacks could be silver or gold based. Could you expound on that please? 

Generally speaking, the best blacks are typically gold based, and the best blues/splashes are typically silver based. That's why many breeders keep their blacks and blues/splashes in separate pens.

The club started in 1978 without a name and once the breed name "Ameraucana" was decided on the club became the Ameraucana Bantam Club, since there were only bantam Ameraucanas at the time. Later when large fowl were accepted we changed the name to Ameraucana Breeders Club to be all inclusive. A few years ago many of us forked the club into two and reorganized as the Ameraucana Alliance, so we could get back to being "an alliance of folks focused on the promotion of standard bred Ameraucana and positive support for those interested in standard bred Ameraucana".
Dues start at just $10 per year. An Ameraucana Handbook is sent to 1st time members. Members receive Ameraucana Newsletters and other benefits.

Here is a link to an article I wrote 10 years ago that talks about Ameraucanas coming from Easter Eggers.
http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/chickens-101/all-about-ameraucana-chickens/

The Ameraucana Breeders Club did not "fork in two". 21 people resigned in 2015 over a dispute over the 2014 election and started a new club, out of 179. We are now over 300 members and growing.

Just a quick interruption here....

Lets all keep on topic here and discuss the breed and such folks. Before the discussion on what exactly what happened with the Ameraucana Breeders Club, splitting, forking or not forking, etc...,gets out of hand here, I ask that you all move on from this subject if you can't agree to disagree. I am not going to delete anything here, I personally don't know what happened and nor is it my job to rule on this. The BYC Staff moderates by our rules only. So the offending posts stay.

So I ask that you move on here, ignore the comments that annoy you and keep yourselves out of trouble.

I thank you so much for your cooperation and have a great day!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom