Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Depending on what color you are looking for, Sid, you may find that that breeders directory list is inaccurate. :p I contacted about 10 breeders on there for LF wh. Ams and not a one actually had or raised them, most of them got out of it years ago, some of them had never raised them in the first place! You can try under the BST section of the forum, for hatching eggs. BBS aren't too tough to find on there.

In related news, I am setting 14 LF wheaten am eggs today. I already have a wheaten am rooster, but the hens from that hatch got munched by a marauding raccoon. It was a terrible hatch anyhow, but my rooster has been a doll for years. Looking forward to trying again with this batch from a different breeder. :)

Depending on what color you are looking for, Sid, you may find that that breeders directory list is inaccurate. :p I contacted about 10 breeders on there for LF wh. Ams and not a one actually had or raised them, most of them got out of it years ago, some of them had never raised them in the first place! You can try under the BST section of the forum, for hatching eggs. BBS aren't too tough to find on there.

In related news, I am setting 14 LF wheaten am eggs today. I already have a wheaten am rooster, but the hens from that hatch got munched by a marauding raccoon. It was a terrible hatch anyhow, but my rooster has been a doll for years. Looking forward to trying again with this batch from a different breeder. :)

While this happens, still doesn't hurt to send out emails to the breeders listed... directory is updated quite frequently and changed promptly when requested, but unfortunately many forget to report changes to the ABC...

If you're still looking for lf whites, @OnceInaBlueMoon is currently breeding and selling them, along with Paul Smith and others... I just started a project pulling recessive whites out of my self blue line, but unless you want to work with those at the point I am now, better to go with one who is already established... :)

The Breeders Directory is usually updated monthly (although there was a gap while we were putting together the new Handbook of about 6 weeks) and is about to be updated this week. Of course, the information contained is only as good as what is reported, but we make every effort to validate the information contained. If you wait til later this week, you will have the latest version available.

@ChocolateMouse , if you would pm me what breeders you contacted, I would be happy to research it and correct any inaccuracies.

Edited to add: the Breeders Directory was just updated yesterday evening. http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/breedersdirectory.html

Last edited:

My BBS are starting to hatch. This one pipped the wrong end and is early (day 19). It pipped through a vessel and the chick was gurgling on fluid, not sure if blood or something else, so I dabbed around it's mouth with the corner of a paper towel. It's still moving and opening and closing it's mouth. This is my first time dealing with malposition. I am assuming I need to just let it be since it's still early, and not assist for another 36 hours at least. Any experience would be appreciated.

My BBS are starting to hatch. This one pipped the wrong end and is early (day 19). It pipped through a vessel and the chick was gurgling on fluid, not sure if blood or something else, so I dabbed around it's mouth with the corner of a paper towel. It's still moving and opening and closing it's mouth. This is my first time dealing with malposition. I am assuming I need to just let it be since it's still early, and not assist for another 36 hours at least. Any experience would be appreciated.
I would remove the wet paper towel... when it's against the shell or 'tented' over it, then it tends to chill the chick rather than help... There's a hands on hatching thread that could give you more help, mostly you're in a waiting game though... ETA: link to help thread... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help Post at the end of that thread, many experienced hatchers that can help there...

Last edited:
Yay! I will check it out!

While this happens, still doesn't hurt to send out emails to the breeders listed... directory is updated quite frequently and changed promptly when requested, but unfortunately many forget to report changes to the ABC...

If you're still looking for lf whites, @OnceInaBlueMoon is currently breeding and selling them, along with Paul Smith and others... I just started a project pulling recessive whites out of my self blue line, but unless you want to work with those at the point I am now, better to go with one who is already established... :)

Thanks for the shout out. I am sold out on all of my Ameraucana varieties via preorders. I'm hatching weekly and am working through the preorder list right now. 8 weeks into the season with 10 weeks to go!

You should check with Paul, Sid! I noticed via the ABC forum that he added on a few additional orders. He is great to work with, and is a wonderful breeder. Paul gets up at the break of dawn on hatch days and marks all of the chicks and gets them boxed up and ready for shipping. He is a wonderful advocate for the breed and has great breeding practices.

The Breeders Directory is usually updated monthly (although there was a gap while we were putting together the new Handbook of about 6 weeks) and is about to be updated this week. Of course, the information contained is only as good as what is reported, but we make every effort to validate the information contained. If you wait til later this week, you will have the latest version available.

@ChocolateMouse , if you would pm me what breeders you contacted, I would be happy to research it and correct any inaccuracies.

Edited to add: the Breeders Directory was just updated yesterday evening. http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/breedersdirectory.html

Oh geeze, this was like a year ago? I might still have the emails somewhere but it's too much effort to go digging, tbh. I informed each of them that they were listed as raising them on the directory and they might wanna get that updated if they didn't wanna keep getting annoying emails from people looking for those birds. :p

Also, I totally meant wh.eaten, not wh.ite. :p My bad.

Also also wasn't trying to say it's a bad place to look, only to make sure the breeder actually has those birds before you consider than you've found the birds you're looking for and to reach out to lots of people and use multiple resources.

Back
Top Bottom