Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I wondered the same thing until I actually opened them up and saw no bulls eye. This was on day 7. I did take a picture of the yolks.

I always crack my eggs that don't develop. Whether they were fertile or not is tough to tell, I used to think you could tell too, I think you can really only tell if they've developed for a couple days or more, if they never developed or were infertile maybe isn't possible to know once they've been incubated....

I had someone incubate phoenix eggs for me, they cracked them open after they didn't develop (nothing on day 10) and told me half were fertile and half weren't...... Turns out the silver cock bird I had was just a cock feathered hen and there was no way any of those eggs were fertile. Once she started laying she lost her male coloring and started looking like a hen.

Would you share your pictures though?

Just bought a new chick a few days ago along with 2 Black Rock, 4 more Road Island Reds. So I'm studying these breeds on my PC.

My two Blue Wheaten cockerels, Orville and Wilbur, hanging out in the sun with my dog. I take them out to the coop every day to interact safely with my older hens, who are still convinced the best thing to do is kill them. Just waiting for them to hit a good size before they move in with the girls.

My two Blue Wheaten cockerels, Orville and Wilbur, hanging out in the sun with my dog. I take them out to the coop every day to interact safely with my older hens, who are still convinced the best thing to do is kill them. Just waiting for them to hit a good size before they move in with the girls.

I love the names and the pic. We are working on getting our pup more comfortable with our chicks. Hope they can be this chill soon.

Curious how old your cockerels are? Almost 100% sure We're raising a wheaten and blue wheaten cockerel. When did you know for sure?

Does anyone have a good example of a splash wheaten rooster? Pretty sure we have a blue wheaten and regular wheaten cockerel but am looking at my pullets now and wondering if any are splash wheaten cockerels. Examples would help greatly.

Also, I am going to try to keep two roosters with my flock but may only be able to keep one. Provided none have major personality flaws, which would you keep? Wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten? Jut fyi - I would not be breeding these for show or to sell. I may breed them with some of my hens for personal use (maintaining the flcok). My hens are blue australorps, barred rock and black copper marans.

Thanks!

I love the names and the pic. We are working on getting our pup more comfortable with our chicks. Hope they can be this chill soon.

Curious how old your cockerels are? Almost 100% sure We're raising a wheaten and blue wheaten cockerel. When did you know for sure?

I got the chicks second hand from a woman who bought a straight run from a breeder who lives here in Washington. They were 5.5-6 weeks when she gave them to me, and they're almost 8.5 weeks now. Blue Wheaten pullets are much lighter, basically just cream colored. These guys got the pretty colors that marked them as boys, so once they were feathered out enough they were rehomed. I got them for free so I'm super lucky; they even have wing bands with the farm of the registered Ameraucana breeder on them, so I know they're the real deal.

Does anyone have a good example of a splash wheaten rooster? Pretty sure we have a blue wheaten and regular wheaten cockerel but am looking at my pullets now and wondering if any are splash wheaten cockerels. Examples would help greatly.

Also, I am going to try to keep two roosters with my flock but may only be able to keep one. Provided none have major personality flaws, which would you keep? Wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten? Jut fyi - I would not be breeding these for show or to sell. I may breed them with some of my hens for personal use (maintaining the flcok). My hens are blue australorps, barred rock and black copper marans.

Thanks!

Wheaten cockbird:

Blue wheaten cockbird (middle):

Splash wheaten cockerel:

Identification of pullets (you can take a look at their wing tips and tails):

Wheaten cockbird:

Blue wheaten cockbird (middle):

Splash wheaten cockerel:

Identification of pullets (you can take a look at their wing tips and tails):

Thank you! Onceinabluemoon, I come across your instagram account, often, when searching for wheaten ameraucana pictures. You have a beautiful flock and gorgeous photos of them!

I have 5 wheaten (blue and splash) chicks - approximately 5 weeks now. I thought I had the following:
1. Blue wh. pullet
2. Splash wh. Pullet
3. Wheaten pullet
4. Blue wheaten cockerel
5. Wheaten cockerel

I am starting to think that (3) my wheaten pullet could be a splash wheaten cockerel. 3 has a white chest like 1 and 2 but is brighter. It does not have a comb anywhere near as developed as my wheaten cockerel (5) though. Though neither does the blue wheaten cockerel (4). I've attached some pics. I could be wrong on all of my guesses. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom