Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I hatched out a pile of blue and black americaunas. One is my ultimate favorite and I'm sure she's a hen.
IMG_20170708_194520.jpg
IMG_20170708_194515.jpg

Should pure wheatons only hatch pure wheaton colored chicks? Or do some come out different? This is a chick from purebred (apparently) parents.

Attachments

• wheaton.jpg
    wheaton.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 13
Hi! I just got a new chick. Parents are lavender Ameraucanas. The chick is black with black legs? I'm confused. So I am guessing I have an EE and there was leakage? Can someone explain how you get a black chick out of lavender parents?

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi! I just got a new chick. Parents are lavender Ameraucanas. The chick is black with black legs? I'm confused. So I am guessing I have an EE and there was leakage? Can someone explain how you get a black chick out of lavender parents?
Lavender is a recessive gene. Lavender to Lavender can only produce Lavender offspring. It's possible that the person you got this chick from didn't know what they were doing, and actually had Blue/Splash birds instead of Lavender. Blue/Splash is a completely different gene, and is dominant. Blues only have a single copy, Splash have two. Blue to Blue pairings have a 25% chance of black offspring.

Lavender is a recessive gene. Lavender to Lavender can only produce Lavender offspring. It's possible that the person you got this chick from didn't know what they were doing, and actually had Blue/Splash birds instead of Lavender. Blue/Splash is a completely different gene, and is dominant. Blues only have a single copy, Splash have two. Blue to Blue pairings have a 25% chance of black offspring.
So could this chick be a blue splash?

Back
Top Bottom